Chapter 5

The next day, I eagerly got out of bed and opened the curtains before April arrived. I sat down at the window seat, gazing out into the garden. A knock on the door sounded before April slipped inside. She appeared momentarily surprised that I was awake, but she smiled.

"I take it you are excited for your lessons?" April guessed. I nodded.

"How did you know?" I asked her. She shrugged.

"Miss Silvia mentioned it to me last night. She said to give you some words of encouragement beforehand since Miss Carine tends to be pretty overwhelming," she warned me. I suddenly felt nervous.

"What do you mean, 'overwhelming'?" I asked her. She winced.

"I wish I could tell you more, m'lady, but I have no idea. I've never met her myself. I've only heard that she's a force to be reckoned with," April said. She seemed to notice my worry. "Don't worry, I'm sure that it's not a bad thing." I nodded and plastered a smile onto my face.

"What would you like for me to do with your hair today?" She asked me. I thought for a moment. My mind suddenly went to Dahlia, who always appeared neat and perfect with her hair in those buns.

"Can you put it into a bun? I want to feel sophisticated," I told her. April nodded and smiled.

"I think that's a good choice."

When she was done with my hair, she helped me choose another dress. There weren't many in the wardrobe, but after getting my measurements for the wedding dress, Xander ordered a few extra dresses for me. I would need to go out shopping soon, but that was something I hoped to put off. Spending time around other high-class women seemed daunting.

April pulled out a violet dress with indigo swirly designs. She pulled out a purple necklace and matching earrings to match. I took one last glance in the mirror before leaving. I looked like any other upper-class woman at first, besides the obvious difference in my skin color. There were very few women of color in upper-class Axumont. But since there was no way to change it, I would just have to embrace it.

-------

I was sitting in the parlor with a cup of tea as I waited for Miss Clarine. It was only about three minutes before a butler announced that she was there. She walked in through the doors and gave me a small curtsy. I mirrored her. She was a middle-aged woman with brown hair pulled back into a tight bun. Her cold blue eyes narrowed at me from behind her glasses. She had a slightly wrinkled face from what looked like years of frowns and pursed lips.

"Greetings, my lady. I am Miss Clarine, and I will be your etiquette teacher as of today," she said. Her voice was clear and sharp. The way she watched me felt like being watched by a hawk.

"Greetings, Miss Clarine. I am Katherine Laurent," I said, unsure of how to introduce myself as a noble. Since marrying Xander, I was introduced to other people, but I hadn't done it myself before. I thought it would be easy, but I found myself at a loss for words.

"That would be Lady Katherine Laurent," she said sharply. I blinked, hoping to hide my surprise.

"Oh, yes. My apologies. I'm very new to this," I told her. Her eyes swept over me.

"Yes... I can see that. It's not often we see your kind in nobility," she said, and I watched as her eyes scoured over my skin. I flushed, desperately wanting to move on. I cleared my throat.

"So, Miss Clarine. I'm told you can teach me the proper table manners and etiquette of high society?" I asked her. She pursed her lips.

"Yes, my lady."

"I arranged for some maids to bring table settings for us to practice with," I said, motioning toward the two trays filled with plates, bowls, cups, and silverware. She glanced at them and nodded.