CHAPTER 33

Nalu’s Point of View

I don’t understand why my mother can’t accept what Sir Yoshio and I have. To her, it seems as if the boundaries between student and teacher are insurmountable, an ethical line drawn in the sand that I am apparently unable to see.

I’m in the shower room, steam curling around me like the swirl of my thoughts, when suddenly my phone buzzes with a message from Sir Yoshio. My heart skips a beat as I quickly look at it, feeling a rush of emotions clash within me. The warmth of the water cascades over my skin, but it can't wash away the turmoil inside my head.

“Ma’am Nalu, kakain na raw po!” Narinig kong kumatok ang isa sa mga katulong namin. Napabuntong hininga na lang ako habang nagpapatuyo ng buhok sa blower at nakaharap sa salamin. Mula akong napasulyap sa text message niya.

Nandito na ako sa Celestial Gardens nakaburol na yung anak namin. I’m sorry for giving this kind of relationship that we had. Sana okay ka lang ngayon, just hit me up. Makikipagkita ako sa’yo whenever you need me. Anytime. I love you, Nalu.

I quickly slipped into my sleeveless crop top, the fabric clung snugly to my frame, exuding a comfortable yet chic vibe, while my high-waisted trousers accentuated my figure perfectly, providing a sharp contrast that made my outfit pop. I admired how the black high-strap stiletto heels elongated my legs, giving me an extra boost of confidence as the sound of the heels clicked against the floor echoed softly in the quiet of my room.

I grabbed my small pouch, which held my essential cards and cellphone, the little lifelines that connected me to the outside world, and made sure everything was in place before I hurriedly closed my door behind me.

The air was filled with the sound of my mother's voice, and as I approached the living room, curiosity piqued by what I could hear.

“No, we can’t wait any longer! If he stays around, things will only get worse!” A voice muffled through my mom’s tablet.

Dad?

Dad's voice was marked by a tremor of anxiety and tinged with an unrecognizable distortion. “I agree, but you know how strong-willed she is. We have to be careful about how we approach this.”

“It doesn’t matter! We need to find a way to get her away from Sir Yoshio before it’s too late! This isn’t just a crush. It’s dangerous!” Mom raised her voice.

Napatigil ako sa kalagitnaan ng hagdan ng marinig ko ang mga ‘yon mula sa mga magulang ko. “Are they really going to do this…” I whispered.

“If we have to, we’ll take her out of town. Whatever it takes to keep her safe.”

My emotions surge like a tidal wave crashing against the shore, I stepped back from the stairs, whispering in a low, trembling voice that reflects the turmoil churning within myself.

“No... They can’t just decide for me. I won’t let them take him away from me!”

I glanced one last time toward the living room, my parents silhouetted against the glow of the tablet.

“Sir Yoshio understands me. They just don’t get it.” I muttered to myself.

“Did you hear that?” Mom’s voice was trembling as I slammed the door behind her, leaving my parents stunned in the wake of their conversation.

“We have to reach her before it’s too late…”