Chapter 48

M A X

"Please please please," I keep repeating as Leo shakes his head.

Leo sighs looking at me, "no."

I sigh and roll my eyes, we are in the kitchen but even with food stuffed into his mouth he still denies me access to his phone.

"I told you I can't, do you want Antonio to kill me?"

I nod and smile, "come on you know I won't tell him, I just want to talk to Scott for a second."

I miss him.

"Please.." I beg Leo as I smile at him, "no one has to know, I just want to let him know that I'm fine."

He sighs and nods, "fine but only for a few minutes."

"And don't say a word to Antonio."

I nod and smile as he passed his phone over, I take it and hit Scott's name on it.

I take a breath when he answers, finally hearing his voice after a few days, "hey it's me."

I can hear his grin through the other line, "hey you."

I smile and sigh, "I'm sorry I couldn't call earlier but my dad's got me on bed rest and stuff."

"It's alright...I'm just glad you're okay, you are right?"

I nod and smile, "yeah I appreciate you asking."

"Of course Max, I was really scared, I just wanted to find you."

I sigh, "yeah I know but everything is better now, I'm home."

"I'm glad, I can't wait to see you at school when are you going back?" He asks as I try to imagine his face in my head.

Imagining a hug as I smile at the idea, "probably tomorrow if not then the day after tomorrow."

"But I'll be sure to give you a hug first."

He sighs, "I can't wait, I just want to hug you."

I smile as there's a hint of resurance in his voice, "a friendly hug of course."

I laugh slightly, "of course, we don't want my dad to find you." I tease him a little.

He laughs slightly, "nothing would stop me from giving you a hug."

I smile and nod, "nothing?" I ask.

"Nothing."

He whispers as I hope he's smiling like I am right now.

Leo looks at me and sighs, "okay you had your time, Antonio might be back soon."

I sigh and nod, "hey sorry, Scott Leo is bugging me, I have to go."

"It's no problem, I just wanted to hear you and make sure your ok."

I smile and nod, "I'm better now."

He sighs and it sounds like it's filled with relief, "I'm so glad, bye Max."

"Bye Scott, I'll be expecting that hug," I tease smiling before I hang up.

I give Leo his phone back, "okay relax I'm done now."

He nods and smiles, "don't say I didn't ever do anything for you." He jokes but gives me a look.

I roll my eyes, "sure."

He laughs slightly and smiled at me as dad comes in with pizza boxes.

"Did I miss something?"

I smile and raise a brow at Leo as he shakes his head, knowing he would be in more trouble then me.

He smiles back as we both say, "nope."

Dad only looks at us and shrugs, "let's just go eat."

I nod, they don't have to tell me twice.

A N T O N I O
Two days later

"I think I've made up my mind." I say and look at all my brothers, we all are in my home office while Max is back at school.

Leo sighs, "are you sure? Like completely because there's no going back?"

I take a breath, looking at the picture I have of Max on my desk. There's nothing more important then her, the Mafia used to be my life but now she is.

I sigh and turn back to all of my brothers, Matteo was the most guarded but he'll come around.

"I'm sure."

Leo nods and sits down as they all stare at me.

"I know it's gonna be a transition but I'm done with all this criminal shit."

I sigh and shake my head, "I never told you all but it was never my life, not the life I wanted."

"Our father forced it on me and I was supposed to handle it all alone but I can't anymore."

Romeo nods, "we get it Tony."

I smile and nod, "I know but you guys all deserve to know the truth, about dad."

Leo raises an eyebrow, he doesn't really know anything about him but now is the time to be honest.

"This isn't easy but Dad wasn't a good guy, sure he loved us but in the end he just saw us as pons to use for the business."

"That's why I need to do this, I'm not gonna be him and Max is not gonna grow up like I did."

I sigh and look at them, not just as my brothers but as individuals.

"I'm giving the Mafia life up."

I look to Matteo, "I understand if you don't want to take over, but I also understand if you want to."

He nods and clears his throat, "I don't want it."

I look at Romeo next as he shakes his head, "fuck Antonio you know the answer."

I smile and nod, I don't even look at Leo because he shakes his head as well.

I sigh and look out the window, "then there's only one thing to do."

Matteo raises an eyebrow, "are you sure?"

I nod and sigh, "it's my only option and the only thing that makes sense."

"I'm giving it all up."

"To Victor."