Chapter 4. - The possibility.

Legion woke up in hazy field. He did not know what time it was... was it dusk or dawn? No light illuminated in any direction of the horizon. All he could see was an empty field... and a house at the far end.

Against his better judgment, he went near it. A soft warm glow illuminated on one of the windows. He was raised to be a gentleman and he knew that peeking through windows were not part of his education but seeing the day he has have, education was far from his mind.

He came close to the window and there he saw a man. He did not know how old, nor could he see his face. All he could see was his back and he was rummaging around, what looks to be, his worktable.

"I can't do this anymore." The man said solemnly. He sounded, empty. "I don't think I can keep this up anymore. Forgive me my gods." He continued, "Please look out for my family."

The man pulled out a chair from his worktable, he climbed on it and that was when Legion noticed the rope. He wanted to yell... but he couldn't.

"Good you're up."

Legion looked around and realized he was back in the forest he was originally walking in. Once foreboding during the night, the forest started looking mystical and serene as soon as the sky having its shy peaks of sunshine.

Before he could utter anything, the woman spoke again, this time she held up a cup with liquid in it. He stopped and stared at the cup.

"It's water." She said dryly. "Thought you could have some seeing you just woke up. I would have warmed it up for you but I'm not really good at fire making." She said sheepishly as she forced the cup in his hands.

"Thanks," he managed to croak. His voice huskier than usual since he just arose. He cleared it and drank from the cup. After a few sips, he suddenly remembered last night and he spat the drink, "Are you trying to poison me?"

The woman did not answer him at this point and instead continued to open the bag she had under her cloak and took out bread and cheese.

"I think I should be saying that to you, o ye murderer." She said flippantly as she dusted off a rock near a tree to sit on. She sat primly and started cutting bread and cheese. She placed two breads together with some of the cheese in the middle and handed it to him.

"Weren't you the one who was announcing what a killer you are... literally."

He took the sandwich from her and that was when he was able to take a good look at her.

She was surprisingly plain. He could describe her as someone who had the most unforgettable face he had ever seen. What had caught his attention, however, was her hair. It was short, wild, and abundant.

He took a bite of the sandwich, and he gave him a look that said, it's not like I had a choice. I thought you were the murderer. I panicked.

She rolled her eyes at him and answered, "Well, you're an idiot."

The suddenness of her answer, caught him off guard, "Witch!" He called out, "You can read minds!"

The woman scowled at him, "gods" she mumbled exasperated with his antics, "I can simply read faces and you made a..." she gestured his hands on his face, "face that suggested your rationale last night."

He continued to stare at her. During his education, his professors told him to read about mythical humans called, soul readers.

In his studies, he knew that these people existed in some point in time. Legend has it that they were a specific group of people who had special abilities of being able to read someone's soul by a glance. They were prolific people, being able to lead nations, write books, make magnificent art, and contribute to the history of mankind. Rumor has it that the reason for their brilliance was because these were the people the gods have cursed to have the enchantments for wanting to know the secrets of mankind. None of them had lived longer than 3 decades.

He took another bite of his sandwich. Maybe he was hungrier than he thought. He was coming up with outlandish ideas. The food started to help clear his head.

"Who are you then?" He asked instead. "Where are you from? Where are you headed and what are you doing here?"

The woman weighed his questions and did not answer quickly. He thought about it and realized that if it was him, he would probably do the same—or just ignore the questions to begin with. To think a random stranger asking about who you are in the middle of—

"My name is Yna from Orensia. I am a wanderer, no specific locations in mind, as long as it's a town with a library to continue my studies and... what was the last question?"

"What are you doing here?"

"Oh, it's the quickest way from Duwo to Lacatma."

Her directness was refreshing. Legion finished his sandwich and decided to introduce himself too without her prompting.

"I am Legion, of Locombia."

Yna stared at him waiting for more but that was all he had given her. She nodded and did not press further, him not sharing further was none of her business.

"It is nice meeting you, Legion" she said meekly. "Are you headed to Duwo?"

Legion nodded, with a flick of his hair he changed the subject, "If you are not a heathen, nor a witch, mind illuminating what I had witnessed?"

She did not pretend to misunderstand and instead she told the exact story of what happened last night sans the conversation. It would make her look asinine.

Legion nodded as he listened to the story. Yna was unable to read him. This gave her time to observe him while she spoke.

She had noticed that the man was absolutely gorgeous. She realized this last night when he appeared in front of her, brandishing an orange. She should have felt fear when he appeared, but she quickly noted that he was shaking all throughout despite him talking about murder and citrus. She completely let her guard down. Besides, she couldn't blame him if he started talking to her the way he did since what she was doing was suspicious out of context.

She ended her story and paused to hear his thoughts.