Beetle Massacre

I wake early in the morning, with an oh so lovely headache. I sneak past a sleeping tom, and grab my backpack and fishing pole poking out of it. Before leaving I can't help but admire this man laying before me.

He's tall and buff, his hair is longer, put up in a bun. His beard has been shaven somewhat recently as he only has stubble.
His cheekbones are sharp, and his dirty blond hair is a beautiful shade.
I feel like a sewer rat compared to this guy..

Oh well.

Once I'm out the front door I take a deep breath of relief. The rain stopped, and The soft singing of the birds and the cool breeze in the morning is so nice.

I walk towards the creek that we've been following, and set up my fishing line for a morning of relaxation and hopefully some breakfast.

Hours have passed and I've caught one fish. But one is better than none! This unlucky little guy will keep me going for at least another day or two.

I suddenly hear the front door of the townhouse slam open, I jump at the sound

"What the fuck??" I yell at Tom.

"Ah... Sorry. I thought you were gone. I was a bit pissed off you'd just left me. "

"Man! Even if I had left I don't owe you anything! You need to find a new friend. I do not group with people. " I spit at the ground and focus back on my fishing pole.

I hear a deep sigh and footsteps approaching me.

Tom sits by my side with a sad look on his face.

"To be honest Atlas... I'm kind of horrified to be alone. "

"I don't see why that's my problem." I snap back at him.

Another deep sigh comes from him.

"You don't owe me anything, and I'll get out of your hair. Thank you for helping me for the night. " He says.

I pause for a moment and reluctantly reply

"..thank you, too. You did save my ass a few times out there."

He gives me a smile and begins to stand up

"Um, Tom? Why don't you stick around a little longer. At least get some food in ya" I motion towards the single fish I've caught.

He smiles even wider now "sure. I'll start a little fire"

An hour or so goes by and I managed to catch another quite small fish, I'm not even sure what type of fish this one is. Let's hope it's safe to eat.

And thankfully Tom managed to start a small fire. I stand up and rest my pole on the ground nearby.

"Oi, nice work. Usually takes me a while to start a fire even with my flint and steel. You manage to do it with rocks and twigs. Impressive." I say

He gives me a prideful smile and replies
"I used to go camping often as a child. I'm grateful for what my father taught me back then. "

I walk over and place some fresh twigs in a line across the fire, then I grab my knife and prepare the fish. They're harshly cut into slices and I toss the heads into the stream for another fish to snack on.

"Thank you" Tom says flatly.

We sit in an awkward silence for a bit.

"So um, how old are you?" I ask. Id guess he's around 25, maybe 30 years old.

"Im 32, I think. The years have started to blend together for me..." He replies.

"How about you, Atlas?"