The Dynamic Duo

Chapter one; Max Mayfield

Summer of 1986

___________________________________________

She wasn't sure how her and Will became friends, to be honest. It originally had to start through Jane. Well, everything was through Jane. She was basically the girl next door while also being a million blocks away.

She figured the main reason she even talked to the Byers boy was to go to the Hoppers. Once they all moved back into town back in 1986, Max had ended up spending most of her time at the girls' house.

It originated with their "hangouts" being only her and Jane. That's how it was before the Byers moved away the first time. And that's what genuinely felt comfortable. But eventually, comfortably started to turn dry when Mike became a plus one to their sleepovers.

She wasn't even sure Hopper even knew he was there 80% of the time. She wasn't a snitch or anything. But once in a while, it would feel nice to kick the frogfaced boy out.

Their midnight talks became irrelevant. She barely considered it a sleepover anymore. Well then again, a spark in her heart always became enthusiastic when she heard the brunette ask her if she wanted to come over. But the flame would instinctively be demolished as she heard Mike's familiar tap on the window, saying he was joining them for the night.

She practically became the couple's key in.

Somehow, Will must have understood the tension and chose to join the trio some nights. The first few times he did, it was awkward. Him and Max were stuck together by a small carpet below the soft mattress. While Mike and El enjoyed themselves on the bed above. Snuggling, laughing, all that giddy, giddy couples shit, Max quite frankly couldn't stand.

It seems like she wasn't the only one, though. Will seemed uncomfortable as well in the setting. She often wondered if one day she would ask him why he even chose to stay if he could easily escape to his room across the hall.

She was grateful, dont get me wrong. But if she were him, she would have dipped the moment she recognized Mike's crubby voice. Especially the way he had been treating Will the last few months. He acted as the boy didn't even exist.

What a priss.

Either way, Will coming in totally scored her one of the best friends she'd ever met. She didn't think she would get so close to the boy, but after one night of just being so damn tired of Mike and El's bullshit. Will finally popped the big question.

"Wanna get out of here?" Okay, not that big of a question. But it for sure meant the world to Max that they were on the same page.

"Indefinitely." It didn't take her more than a second to reply. And after a shared glance. Will simply said he was going to his room, and Max complied by saying she was gonna go get something to drink.

___________________________________________

The couple didn't even seem to notice. Which for the first time in a minute. Didn't bother Max.The duo had ended up leaving the vicinity. Of course, they stayed close enough to the house that Joyce wouldn't get mad if she woke up midnight. But not close enough to the place.

They went to the small gas station just down the road from the place. Thankfully, everything in Hawkins was so close that you could practically walk or bike anywhere. So that's exactly what they did.

Her and Will pretty much connected that walk. They bought a cheap slushie from the gas stop and a small pack of skittles they split. The conversation mostly started with them just ranting about the lovey dovey couple just a few miles away from them.