Chapter 44

Regulus spent the next few days entirely with Julian. They didn't eat in the Great Hall, nor did Regulus take any visits from noblemen or his advisors. He didn't even spend time in his study, unless Julian had fallen asleep early.

Regulus and Julian spent time in the rose gardens, reading books and eating sweet pastries. They played cards and croquet, and fooled around in bed. One day was spent entirely in bed, with the only breaks for Regulus to bring empty plates to the door and to pick up the meals delivered by servants.

In the early evenings, when most of the nobles were gathered in the Great Hall, Regulus and Julian explored the castle. There were far more rooms than Julian realised, and each contained some new delight. Regulus loved to watch Julian's expression as they stumbled upon a particularly beautiful tapestry, or a sitting room with painted walls and marble floors, or a vanity made entirely of gold and ivory. Regulus showed Julian a hidden passageway to the wine cellar, where they opened a cask of wine and drank among the cobwebs. He took Julian behind a bookshelf and down a spiral staircase to a secret library where he showed Julian love letters written from his Grandfather's lover, the married Queen of Berleant. One early morning, Regulus and Julian climbed at least a hundred stairs to the tallest tower in the castle to watch the sunrise.

Julian's days were so filled with Regulus, he hardly had time to himself or to tend his garden.

One morning, soon after Julian woke, Regulus announced they would have a lazy day by the lake. Servants packed them a basket of cheeses, hams, jams, and loaves of bread, and they rode their horses through the forest to a quiet spot on the lake. Julian thought it a bit odd. The last time they had done something like this, Julian had run for his life. This time, Julian did not look for breaks in the brush, nor did he wonder about the location of the nearest village.

Julian laid on his stomach on the blanket as he thumbed through one of his botany books. He was eating a tart as he turned the pages of his book. Regulus was laying beside him, an arm thrown over his eyes to block out the sun. Tied to a tree, the horses grazed nearby. It had been a wonderfully peaceful morning. Julian felt quite calm as he listened to the chirping birds and the water quietly lap against the shore.

"I'm visiting Lord Belderon in a few weeks," Regulus said, opening his eyes and turning his head to look at Julian. "I haven't been to the Red Mountains in seven years, and he's been writing to me for years about visiting his estate."

Julian licked the crumbs from his fingers as he looked over at Regulus. "Oh?"

"I'd like you to come with me," Regulus said.

"Alright," Julian said, reaching for another fruit tart.

"While we're there, I thought we might visit Hythe. You haven't been there in some time, have you?"

Julian swallowed, and he released his book, letting it fall closed. "Not in years."

"Then we'll visit. Your mother is buried there, yes?" Regulus said.

"Aye." Julian said, lowering his gaze to his book. He closed it and pressed his hand over his eyes.

At Julian's silence, Regulus rolled on his side. He wrapped an arm around Julian's waist and drew him closer, kissing Julian's temple. "Are you alright?"

"I never thought I would have the chance to return to Hythe," Julian muttered. He dropped his hand and leaned over, giving Regulus a quick kiss on the cheek. "Thank you."

"You're very welcome," Regulus said, as ran his fingers under Julian's tunic and rubbed his fingers in circles along Julian's lower back.

Julian returned to his book with a slight smile on his face. Regulus admired Julian's features.