Chapter 18: Lest

Elly's eyes fluttered open, and she found herself in a room adorned with an otherworldly beauty. Every surface was intricately woven with tangled vines, creating an enchanting and ethereal atmosphere. She felt a peculiar sensation on her head and noticed a leaf carefully tied to her hair. Confusion swept over her as she struggled to recall the events leading up to this moment. The last thing she remembered was being forcefully pushed to the ground by a soldier.

A warm smile greeted her as she turned her gaze to the right. It was Lest, his usually stoic expression transformed into a radiant grin. Elly couldn't help but feel a sense of relief wash over her at the sight of him. "your fever is gone, Elly. thank goodness" he exclaimed.

Curiosity burned within her, and she couldn't resist asking, "Where are we?" Lest rose to his feet, adjusting the makeshift bandage on her forehead as he spoke. "Were here at the craglin village, it took us a while to get here. We spend the night at the side of the river then we just carry you from there." he replied, his eyes scanning her wound attentively. " Exhaustion and injury got the best of you. You've been asleep for days".

As Lest concluded his words, the sound of numerous footsteps reverberated through the air, followed by the sudden opening of their vine door. Small figures emerged, their jade-hued skin contrasting with the obsidian-tipped spears they held, their forms adorned with armor resembling wood.

"You both are to come with us, under the command of the Grand Craglin, Wolder," one of the craglin warriors declared solemnly.

"Why? Have we done something?" Lest's voice betrayed his surprise as he questioned the craglins. Their response was silence, their spears pointed unwaveringly at him. Elly, sensing the tension, pressed herself against Lest's back for protection.

"Just come with us. There's an incident at the North Fort that concerns your mother," one of the craglins replied cryptically. Lest straightened, his brows furrowing in concern. "What has happened there !?" he inquired further.

But before he could receive a satisfactory answer, a craglin named Ta'nu stepped forward, raising his spear and pointing it threateningly at Lest's neck. "I will ask once more. Either you come with us unharmed, or we take you by force," Ta'nu declared firmly.

As they were escorted, Lest gently supported Elly, assisting her with each step along the rocky streets of the craglin village. The ground beneath their feet was composed of collected rocks pressed firmly into the earth, with small blades of grass stubbornly sprouting from the crevices. Houses perched atop trees, constructed from a blend of vines and wood, observed their passage with curious eyes.

Eventually, they arrived at the largest tree house in the far north. This dwelling stood out from the rest, as the tree itself had been intricately carved to form the structure of the house. Arched doorways and numerous windows adorned its exterior. Upon entering, they found themselves in a long hall, its length punctuated by a grand table at the far end.

Seated at the head of the table was an elderly craglin, holding a wooden wine cup. He took a leisurely sip as he observed their approach. Beside him sat Sartos, his eyes bearing a stoic expression that betrayed little emotion.

As they drew closer to the table, the craglin soldiers dispersed to either side, their spears held upright in a show of authority. Lest leveled a gaze at both the elderly craglin and Sartos. "Must we be treated as prisoners?" he questioned, a note of defiance lacing his words. Sartos maintained his silence, his eyes fixed on Lest with a simmering undercurrent of anger.

The elderly craglin turned his attention towards Lest and said, "Based on the whispers shared earlier by the nearby trees at the Coast, The North fort has already been destroyed by your mother, Lyferia, who conjured a grandel lion. Evidently ,that shes in posession of ebony ink.