Chapter 1

Introduction

I stood patiently in line, waiting for my name to be called. I had waited 2 years for this. I had trained every day for 2 years for this. Now was my time- it had come.

This was a training camp for young recruits perusing their dreams of becoming a secret agent. I had been training to work for MI13. I was currently 18 and desperate for some way to improve my life since the horror that had happened a little more than a year ago.

*Flashback*

It was 19th April 2010 and I had just turned 16 yesterday. My mother was at work yesterday so we were going to go out for a meal tonight. I met my brothers JJ and Louis downstairs and waited patiently for mum and dad to come down the stairs.

I sneaked a glance at JJ and Louis. JJ had dark brown hair which was swept down to the side, covering his right eye and gleaming green eyes. He had his left ear pierced and in it was a black stud in the shape of a dagger. Our granddad gave that to him before he passed away 3 years ago. JJ was training to be in the army and had joined the Army Cadets 3 years ago, a month after our granddad passed away. This was mainly because our Granddad, whose name was Max, was in the army and JJ wanted to do him proud.

JJ was wearing a black shirt and red tie with a red blazer. He had black chinos on with black high tops. He had most certainly tried with his outfit!

Louis looked quite similar to me. We both had windswept golden brown hair with electric blue eyes. He had a very model like jawline and was always a hit with the ladies. He had pink lips with long eyelashes and a rather big bottom. In a way, he was quite feminine. Louis worked in MI13 already as he passed his test 7 months ago. He was the one training me to join.

Louis was wearing a red shirt with black suspenders and red trousers. He was also wearing black TOMS. This was a typical Louis outfit.

In a way, I was a lot closer to Louis than JJ. I saw my 18 year old brother everyday whilst he trained me but JJ would cut himself off from the outside world. He hasn’t been the same since Grandpa passed away. He was very close to him. He would watch Louis and me train and I have managed to see him practising the moves and skills he has learnt off us. He is such a good fighter. We have tried to persuade him to join MI13 but he is consistent in joining the army.

As for me, I’m the boring one. Like I said before, I had golden brown hair windswept to my right with a little flick on the end. I have electric blue eyes and a natural blush on my cheeks. I have decent muscles and a six pack but that is mainly because of my training. I play football but I am not obsessed. I prefer to wear band T-shirts, leather jackets, chinos and high top trainers. Today I was wearing a plain red t-shirt with a black leather jacket, black chinos and red trainers. I was the most casually dressed out of us all.

Onto our personalities: JJ was quiet, clever, had A LOT of general knowledge, sporty and funny when he wanted to be. He was also quite sarcastic. He was 11 (would be 13).

Louis was quite different. He was VERY sarcastic and generally rude but in a funny way. He is the best person to hang around with when you are feeling sad because he will make you wet yourself he makes you laugh so much. He was still clever and was witty. He could come up with a comeback without giving you time to breath. He can always make you smile but in a very loyal friend who is amazing at keeping secrets. He is very dedicated and down to earth when it comes to work but always cracks a joke wherever possible. He was 18 (would be 20).

I was quite sarcastic and a bit clever. I was a bit flirty though, which doesn’t always turn out to be a good thing. I was also very shy, although that depended on the people I was talking to. I was 16.

I was pulled out of my thoughts by footsteps. My mum and dad entered the room holding hands. My dad was grinning but my mum had a poker face on. She also had one hand behind her back.

The next thing I knew my mum pulled a gun out from behind her back and had shot my dad (James), Louis and JJ. I felt a pain in my chest and I too fell to the floor in the growing pool of blood.

*Normal time*

I had awakened 2 weeks later from a coma with stitches in my chest but apart from that I was fine. The bullet had missed all of my organs and had just caused mild internal bleeding. I had found out 2 days later that Louis, JJ and dad had died 4 hours after being shot. JJ being first to go as the bullet hit his heart. My dad being next as the bullet hit his head. I felt so sorry for Lou. He had to die slowly and painfully. It took him a whole 9 hours to pass away. The bullet hit his lungs.

My name was called and I made my way into the examination room. This place reminded my too much of the Hunger Games. We had to enter the room and show the examiners what we could do.

I was an expert in archery, climbing, and shooting. I could also disable any piece of technology quicker than any other student in the training camp. I had to do this for my brother. Do it for Louis.

I walked up to the weapons station, collects and bow and quiver full of arrows and a gun. I loaded them and attached them to my belt.

I made my way over to the ‘jungle’ (which was really a load a plastic painted trees) and waited for the timer to start. We had 5 minutes to complete the challenge. I heard the buzzer and raced to the nearest tree. I had to find 3 bombs and disable shooting any people who may come in the way.

I scrambled up the nearest tree right to the top and looked out over the acre big landscape. I spotted the first bomb and leaped on to the next tree landing nimbly on a branch. I dropped to the floor spotting a clone. I quickly strung an arrow and shot shooting it right in the head. It dropped to the floor and I continued my trek. I heard the 4 minute warning. By this time I had reached the bomb and fiddled around with the multi-coloured wires disabling it.

I raced on, constantly on the lookout for clones. I had reached the second bomb and disabled it by the time the 3 minute warning had sounded. I restarted my trek for the last bomb. It was hidden in the branches of a tree.

I quickly spotted it and scrambled up, determined to complete this task for Louis and JJ. I was half way up when a clone jumped on me from behind. I felt my feet slip and I was now holding on with my bare hands. I retrieved my dagger from my belt and plunged it into the clones stomach I watched as it fell to the ground with a crash.

The 1 minute warning brought me back to my senses. I reached the bomb and disabled it. I knew that I had 30 seconds to get out of this plastic jungle to be able to pass. I swiftly dropped down to the dusty ground and sprinted north to the exit out of this excruitiating jungle.

I reached the gateway just as the 5 second countdown begun. I had done it! Louis and JJ would have been proud… hang on, there is someone there at the back talking to… LOUIS?!