Chapter 2

I sprinted over at full speed, dodging people here and there. It was Louis!

‘Louis? How the hell are you here??’ I panted, out of breath from my trial. I engulfed him in a bear hug and he started talking as we let go of each other.

‘I survived the shot, I had a punctured lung and I died but I was revived. Luckily, I had an inside pocket and the bullet hit my phone! So that slowed the bullet down. They didn’t tell you because they didn’t know! I was dead for 3 hours!’ he chuckled lightly at the end of his explanation. The boy next to him chuckled with him.

‘Oh yeah, Nate this is Dougie. He is also training to be in MI13. He is 16 and has already passed his trial. You won’t be alone now!’

I turned my head to see the most beautiful boy I had ever seen in my life! I had only glanced at him before and had not had chance to admire his beauty.

‘Hi’ I stated simply. Hoping to sound confident.

‘Hey!’ He said back, grinning from ear to ear. Louis snickered, obviously catching on to my small crush. I glared at him and he soon stopped.

‘What do we do now then?’ I asked, hoping to make some sort of conversation with Dougie.

‘Well why don’t we go to a café and talk. I would like to know more about you Nathan’ he smiled shyly. He’s adorable!

‘Yeah okay’ I said ‘What are you going to do Louis? You coming with us?’

‘No it’s okay. There is still loads of people I need to tell about the mistake of my death! I do have friends you know!’ We all laughed at Louis’ eagerness about seeing his mates.

We went our ways, me and Dougie heading to the nearest Starbucks. It was silent on the way, but it wasn’t awkward. We were just enjoying the presence of each other… Well I was anyway, I don’t know about Dougie.

We made it to Starbucks and ordered, sitting down after receiving our drinks.

‘So, tell me about yourself Nath, can I call you that Nath? To late Nath I’m gonna call you Nath from now on… No Nate sounds better. I think I’ll call you Nate, Nate. So anyway carry on!’ by now I was in hysterics! I almost had pissed myself laughing!

‘My name is Nathan ‘Nate’ James Sykes. I’m 18 years old. My birthday is 18th April. I have a brother Louis, who you know. I used to have another brother called JJ but he was murdered by our mother. He was only 11. I saw it happen…’

‘That’s horrible’ Dougie chipped in.

‘Anyway, my favourite colour is red; my most treasured possession is my grandfather’s dagger. I have a best friend Tyler Blackmore who is 18 and I am dating his sister Ryder.’ I thought I saw his face fall slightly after I had said that last sentence…

‘Oh…’ he said quietly. ‘That’s cool’

‘Your turn’ I said.

‘Okay. My name is Dougie Poynter. I am 16 years young. My birthday is 30th November. My favourite colour is blue. I have a brother Lyoko (I call him Lyo) who is 13. He is training to be an agent as well. The reason I’m training to be an agent is because I used to be addicted to drugs and alcohol and now I feel disgusted with myself for keeping that a secret from my band mates and family. As you just heard, I am in a band called McFly. They don’t know about my training though, I want to protect them. And don’t worry, I’ve been clean for near enough 2 months now.’

I gave him a small smile, feeling sorry for him.

‘Do you mind me asking why you were addicted?’ I asked politely.

‘I was addicted because me and Lyo got abused by our Father. It was a way out. But now I found this and we can get away from the monster.’ It was only then I noticed he had a black eye and bruises and scratches all over him.

‘Wow, he beat you up pretty bad…’ I felt so sorry for Dougie and Lyoko.

‘Wait till you see my brother. He is worse. I’ll take you to him now. He will probably have just finished his test. Let’s go.’ Dougie said.

We talked more on the way back to the camp. It turns out that Dougie’s dad would tie him to a chair and then beat up Lyo in front of him. He said that was worse than getting beat up himself. He once tried to fight back against his dad and Lyo was stabbed but not in a place where is would kill him, just would torture him with the pain.

We soon arrived in the camp and a boy ran straight up to Dougie giving him a massive hug.

‘I did it, I did it, I did it Dougie I passed!’ he said over and over again.

‘This is Lyo, Nathan. And well done baby boy!’

Lyo pulled a face at Dougie and turned to face me.

‘Hi, I’m Lyo!’ he said cheerfully.

‘I’m Nathan but you can call me Nate.’ I said back. I noticed Lyo had stiches above his eye along with a black eye and cuts along his bare arms as he was wearing a training vest.

‘Do they hurt?’ I said carefully gently running my fingers over the fragile boys stitches.

He shed a tear, looking down at the floor. ‘Yeah’ he whispered. ‘But I put what happened to me and Dougie in the past. I take it he told you about our father?’

Now it was my turn to reply with a whispered yes.

‘Did you pass your test then? Lyo said, changing the topic.

‘Yeah!’ I replied. ‘But only just! I had 4 seconds to spare!’

‘Haha! That was close! I thing I had something like 90 seconds left…Our test was easier than yours! What about you Dougie?’

‘Yeah I passed.’ Dougie stated. ‘Of course I did’ he added with a wink.

‘So when do we head to the base to get started?’ I asked the 2 boys.

‘I’m not sure. I think we start tomorrow. The base is under the school. Sylvia Young I think its called?’

‘Oh my god that’s my school!’ I said back to Dougie. ‘After all this time, I only find out today that the agency I have been training to be in for years is based under my school!’ I was shocked!

‘Hey Dougie, isn’t that Louis?’ Lyo asked.

‘Wait how do you know my brother Lyo? I asked him.

‘Any friend of my brother is a friend of mine.’ He replied smartly. He reminded me so much of my brother.

He was right though. Louis was coming over slowly, looking down at the floor glumly. Oh no, he hasn’t passed has he. I can’t go without Lou! I can’t leave him the day after I have found him!

He arrived.

‘I didn’t pass guys. I was 4 seconds late.’ He said sadly.

‘What!? That’s stupid!’ Doug exclaimed!

‘I’m only joking you twats! I passed with 2 minutes to spare! Come here you!’ he said, directing the last part to Lyo who had clung to his waist.

Lou picked him up.

‘Don’t. Ever. Do that. Again, you dick.’ Lyo said sharply. We all laughed.

‘Aww sorry Lyly, I didn’t know you cared about me so much!’

‘Of course I do. How couldn’t I?’ Lyo sobbed.

Louis put Lyo down and gave me a hug. Then moving to Dougie after he let go.

I had completely forgotten about Lou’s test to be honest. He had his test to become a proper agent, as in a leader. He was only one rank away now!

We were all members of MI13, and we were ready to go.