one

"Marlene, come downstairs this instant!" my aunt Shirley shouted from the kitchen.

I walked out of my room downstairs and into the kitchen. There was a plate of toast sat on the table.
"God I wish you could dress more feminine," she scoffed looking at my outfit. I was wearing a white shirt with a tie at the bottom and a pair of shorts.
"what's wrong with my outfit?" I asked looking at my aunt.
"You'll attract the wrong people wearing something like that,"

I knew what she meant. Internally i rolled my eyes at her. I didn't care what I was wearing I wasn't looking for anyone to date.

"I'm going to go to that dance later," I told her.
"Whatever, just being a key or you'll be locked out,"

I nodded and then stood up. I grabbed my key and put it in my pocket before leaving. I try to stay out of the house as much as possible. I hate it there.

I sat in the concrete park watching a group of boys playing basketball. I was reading my book. I loved my book it helped me escape my reality which was living hell. I had no friends, no excitement and it just sucked. That's why i'm going to the dance, to see if i can make friends.

I heard a lot of noise and I looked up. There was a fight going on. I anxiously watched from afar. I didn't understand why they were fighting. It was weird to me.

It was getting late and so i decided to leave. I let my messy bun fall as I took the bobble out. I was ready to go to the dance.

I walked over to the gym and followed in the crowds of people. I walked into the room and I noticed that people already had partners and were dancing. I stood in the corner next to a person. They were wearing jeans and a jacket.
"Hi, I'm Marlene," I said.

The person registered me.
"How come you're not dancing?"
"I don't know anyone. what about you?"
"They don't like me, call me lesbo, not that i care,"
"oh, i'm sorry," i said anxiously.
"it's fine. i don't care,"

i stood there awkwardly.
"so what's your name?"
"anybodys,"
"that's your name?"
"what they call me. so yes that is my name, i guess,"

i stood silently.
"i like your shirt," anybodys said.
"oh, thanks." i smiled. "i like your jacket. especially the green,"
"yeah it's cool," anybodys agreed.

there was a man on a microphone talking. he was on about having. 'get together dances'
"get together dances?" i asked anybodys through a whisper.
"yeah they're trying to get the pr's and americans to bond,"
"ohh," i said.

they didn't listen to what the man said and instead went with their original partners.

as they were dancing i noticed one of the men staring at me. he was wearing a blue shirt and a pair of jeans.
"you, come here,"

i stayed still.
"me?" i asked pointing at myself and then he nodded.

I awkwardly walked over. The girl who he was dancing with looked confused.
"what is a pretty girl like you doing stood there alone?" he asked.
"i wasn't alone. i was with anybodys," i said assuming he knew who i was referring to.
"pfft not that freak,"

freak? i thought they were nice.
"she has been trying to join the jets for years,"
"the jets?"
"you don't know the jets?"
"no, sorry i just moved here,"
"oh, well i'm riff. i'm the leader of the jets,"
"ah. i'm marlene,"
"marlene, nice name, you're different you know,"
"i am?"
"yes, care for a dance?"
"oh no, i don't dance,"
"why don't you give it a go? i won't judge,"

it seemed like the girl he was dancing with didn't seem to mind either.
"so if you put your hands here and just move to the beat of the music."
"so why don't you like anybodys?"
"i said because she wants to join the jets,"
"and what's wrong with that?"
"she's a girl,"

i stared at him.
"what if i wanted to join your gang?"
"well you're different remember,"
"that isn't fair,"
"look you don't know anybodys,"

i decided not to push him anymore.

once we finished the dance i let go.
"hey why don't you join us at doc's after?" he asked.
"doc's?"
"i'll take you,"
"ok, sure why not," i said. i couldn't believe i had already made friends. this was so cool.