Chapter 23

Naina

Naina

It had been two months since I last saw Zayne and poured out my darkest secrets to him. We still talked on the phone, but neither of us brought it up again.

I started seeing a new counselor. She was different—understanding yet strictly focused. Our sessions hardly ventured into my past, except briefly during our first meeting. When she asked about my goals, I told her I wanted to move on from Advik and find myself again.

She guided me through coping mechanisms for when thoughts of returning to Advik crept in or when I had panic attacks. She had me identify and document my triggers, then practice my responses until they felt natural. She asked me to write down one thing I was grateful for each day and to perform a daily act of kindness that offered no benefit other than inner joy. She also encouraged me to set one short-term goal and one long-term goal, and we worked towards them together.

Gradually, the flashbacks faded. I hadn't experienced a panic attack, nor had I broken down in the past two months. I was finally doing well; I finally felt like I was going to be okay.

"Naina, were you able to get leave for Onam?" Zayne asked me one day.

"Yeah," I replied. "I have five days. What about you?" Time off wasn't a big concern for me, as my official graduation would be delayed and I wouldn't be eligible for subspecialty exams this year.

"I have six days off," he said. "Let's take the train?"

I nodded in agreement. The train would take us 9 hours overnight, while a flight would only take 5 hours but would eat up daylight hours.

Finally, the departure day arrived. Zayne met me at my apartment, and we headed to the railway station together.

I had prepared mint chutney sandwiches and packed samosas for our journey.

"Here," I handed Zayne a sandwich, smiling at him. He looked particularly handsome today in his casuals. He wore a white cotton jubba paired with blue jeans. His top buttons were undone, revealing a glimpse of his chest. I couldn't help but stare. His chest was a bit on the hairier side, and I wondered what it would feel like to slip my hand in there. We had been married for four and a half months now. Surely that wouldn't be a crazy thing to do.

My eyes wandered to his arms, partially hidden by the jubba but still showcasing the contours of his muscles. I knew he worked out to stay fit, not to bulk up, yet he had just the right amount of muscle. His hands were another story—long fingers and well-kept nails. Our daughter should inherit his hands, I thought.

When I finally looked up at his face, I saw that he was keenly observing me. Our eyes met, and he smiled. I wished I was sitting next to him rather than opposite him. I longed to be close to him.

We ate our samosas in a comfortable silence.

"How is your PG going?" Zayne asked.

"It's going well. I have some new interns this month. We've been hanging out," I replied.