Chapter 28

Zayne

Zayne

As I continued to tickle Naina, I became acutely aware of my hands brushing against her breasts from time to time as she squirmed and laughed. One moment she was giggling, and the next, a genuine moan escaped her lips. It sent a rush of heat through me, and I dropped her wrists, overwhelmed by the intensity of the moment. I was too turned on to think straight; I needed to take a step back.

I swallowed hard, my mind racing. We had to take things slow.

I looked at Naina, and just as we were about to speak, a knock at the door interrupted us. She let out a small giggle, and I made my way to the door, opening it to find Umma standing there.

"Keep the noise down," she said, trying to suppress a smile.

I grinned back at her. "Okay, we'll try," I replied, intentionally teasing her to make her uncomfortable. She sighed dramatically, muttering something about my insolence under her breath before walking away. I closed the door, chuckling to myself.

"Umma'll definitely help us take things slow," Naina laughed, her light-hearted mood was the direct opposite of the agony I had seen in the car earlier. I wanted nothing more than to see her like this, full of joy. I promised myself I wouldn't bring up the subject of the asshole again; I wouldn't let anyone hurt her again— not even my mother.

Naina walked toward me, a smile illuminating her face. She looped her arms around my neck, humming softly to a song I hadn't heard before. She began swaying slightly, and I realized she was trying to dance with me. It felt awkward, but for Naina, I would do anything. I placed my hands on her waist, and looked into her eyes. She looked happy, genuinely happy.

I moved slowly with her, and I noticed the moment, when her eyes widened, her smile faltered, and the happiness I had seen earlier had turned to confusion and then sorrow. She stopped humming, dropping her hands to her sides awkwardly. My hands remained on her waist. Something had changed inside her head.

Her eyes glistened, and I instinctively leaned in closer, wrapping her in a hug. She stayed stiff in my embrace for a few moments before clearing her throat.

"Zayne, I need to go to the bathroom," she said softly.

I released her, understanding that she needed a moment to pull herself together. I would give her all the time she required if it meant she would return to me. I lay back on the bed, feeling exhausted, my eyes heavy as I drifted off.

The last thing I remembered was the sound of the bathroom door opening.

When I woke up the next day, it was before Naina—a first for me. I watched her sleep, noticing her puffy eyes and the redness of her nose. She didn't look peaceful; it was the first time I had seen someone appear so stressed in their sleep. I reached out, gently smoothing the crease on her forehead, and spooned her softly. Her face relaxed in response, and I wished I had been able to stay awake for her last night.