CHAPTER NINETEEN

Elias groaned as he regained consciousness, his head throbbing with a relentless ache. The air was cold and stale, pressing heavily on his senses. He blinked several times, trying to clear the fog from his vision, but it was no use—the darkness was impenetrable. His hands were bound behind his back, the rough rope cutting into his wrists. Panic began to rise within him as he realized he was in an unknown place, completely disoriented.

The room was dimly lit by a single, flickering bulb hanging from a rusty chain. Shadows danced across the walls, creating eerie, shifting shapes that seemed to mock his helplessness. The concrete floor beneath him was cold and uneven, its rough surface sending shivers up his spine. The walls were grimy and stained, bearing the marks of neglect and decay. The faint scent of mildew and dampness filled the air, mixing with the metallic tang of rust and the musty odor of long-forgotten secrets.

The oppressive silence was occasionally broken by the sound of water dripping from an old, corroded pipe somewhere in the distance. Each drop echoed ominously through the cold, empty space, amplifying the sense of isolation and fear that gripped Elias. The rough stone walls seemed to close in on him, their cold, hard surfaces intensifying the claustrophobic atmosphere. He could barely make out the faint outlines of rusty metal pipes running along the ceiling, their occasional drips providing the only rhythm to the otherwise deathly stillness.

A sudden sliver of light cut through the darkness as the heavy door creaked open, casting a sharp, angular beam that illuminated a figure standing on the threshold. Elias squinted, straining to make out the silhouette that emerged from the shadowy corridor. The light revealed Rafe, his dark silver hair—almost black—neatly styled and contrasting sharply with his deep brown eyes, which were sharp and penetrating. His all-black attire—tight-fitting shirt and pants, with a sleek leather jacket—only heightened his menacing presence. The black leather seemed to absorb the light, adding to the aura of cold, calculated menace that surrounded him.

"Good, you're awake," Rafe said, his voice smooth and chilling. He strode confidently across the room, each step resonating with an authoritative echo. His movements were deliberate, each action calculated to assert his dominance over Elias. As he approached, Elias' eyes burned with a mix of anger and fear, the sight of his captor fueling his desperate resolve.

"Rafe," Elias spat, his voice hoarse and laced with both anger and fear. "What do you want?"

Rafe's lips curled into a smirk, his gaze never leaving Elias as he crouched down to meet his captive's eye level. "What do I want? Is that even a question? You know what I want, don't you?"

Elias' mind raced with the implications of Rafe's words. Of course, he knew. Rafe wanted him dead, and the idea was to weaken Luna as a result. The thought of Luna being left vulnerable, perhaps even following him to the grave, ignited a fierce rage within Elias. He struggled against his bonds, the ropes digging deeper into his skin with every movement.

A few more figures entered the room, their presence adding to the oppressive atmosphere. Kyle and Ryle, the twins, stepped in first. Kyle wore a black hoodie and jeans, his casual attire belying the cruel amusement in his eyes. Ryle, dressed similarly, had an eager grin plastered on his face. They exchanged looks of satisfaction at the sight of Elias.

"Ah, the Beta is awake," Kyle said, his tone dripping with mockery.

"Does that mean we can kill him now?" Ryle chimed in, his excitement was palpable.

"Did you already warn Luna, Mag?" Rafe ignored the twins and turned to Magenta, his most ruthless minion. Magenta stood to the side with a sharp, sinister grin. Her gray eyes glinted with malevolence as her hair, braided and streaked with silver and dark purple, cascaded down her back in an intimidating display. She wore a black, form-fitting top and leather pants that highlighted her menacing aura.