CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Elias paced back and forth in the family garden, the cool morning air tinged with the scent of earth and flowers. Dressed in a simple white T-shirt and worn-out jeans, he looked every bit the picture of someone who found solace in nature. His mind, however, was a whirlwind of thoughts, unable to escape the vivid memory of Luna chatting happily with the man he suspected to be Lukan Kael. The image clung to his thoughts like a persistent shadow.

As he tended to the garden, carefully pruning and watering the plants, his thoughts drifted back to yesterday's encounter. He had glimpsed Luna and Lukan with Isolde, engaged in what appeared to be a casual conversation or perhaps training. Despite knowing it was likely nothing more than that, Elias couldn't quell the gnawing feeling of jealousy that twisted in his gut.

In his distracted state, a slip of the shears caused him to accidentally cut a yellow flower, his grandmother's favorite. The vibrant petals fell to the ground, stark against the lush greenery. Elias sighed, setting the shears down and kneeling to gently gather the fallen blooms. His grandmother had always cherished these flowers, and Elias had inherited her love for gardening from her.

The accident served as a poignant reminder of the emotions that churned within him. Luna's apparent indifference to his presence yesterday had hurt more than he cared to admit. He knew she could sense him nearby, yet she had not acknowledged him, absorbed in her conversation with Lukan. It was a small but significant detail that gnawed at Elias's heart.

He was startled when a familiar voice called out to him. It was aunt Miranda, her mother's sister. Rising to his feet, Elias brushed dirt from his hands and gazed out across the garden. She approached him with purpose, her appearance exuding the same strength and grace that ran in their family. Her red hair, streaked with gray hair, was tied back not so neat, and her warm hazel eyes held both wisdom and warmth.

"Elias, dear," his aunt began with a gentle smile, "It's Finn." She spoke softly, almost whispering.

Elias nodded gratefully, realizing that Finn's call might provide a welcome distraction from his swirling emotions. He excused himself briefly and answered the call, stepping away from the garden to find a quieter spot.

"Hi," he greeted Finn.

"Why did you call so early in the morning?" Elias asked. It was unusual for Finn to be active this early.

"Oh, yeah. Sorry 'bout that. I lost track of time, I guess," Finn answered, sounding very tired.

"You're not sleeping again. Where are you?" Elias asked, full of concern. From Finn's voice, Elias could already guess that he wasn't with his mother anymore.

"Somewhere I don't want to be," Finn said vaguely, but Elias knew what his friend meant. Finn was in his hometown, which explained why he was sleep-deprived again.

"When are you coming back?" Elias asked again.

"That's what I wanted to say. I'll be back in a few days, as soon as possible. I can't stand Lyla's terror anymore. She blows up my phone almost every hour, insisting I come back. It's not just her texts; she uses every profanity word she knows, and that's a lot. She even has the ancient ones," Finn complained, while Elias couldn't help but chuckle at that.

"How about you? I rarely hear from you these days, and Lyla is very secretive if I ask about you. Why is that?" Finn asked again.

Elias just sighed. He really wanted to tell him about Luna, but somehow, he felt it wasn't the right time yet. After all, he didn't even know what kind of relationship he had with her.

"Just come back quickly. You're not the one who has to deal with Lyla's ancient profanities," he said finally, a small smile tugging at his lips despite the uncertainty feeling in his heart.