Sebastian meets Theodore

The song choice for this chapter is "Message In A Bottle" by Taylor Swift. (For reasons unbeknownst to mankind, this is on my Spotify Christmas playlist.)

Even though I know how to break into Headmaster Black's office—from the outside and inside—I decide this is not the moment to showcase that specific talent

Even though I know how to break into Headmaster Black's office—from the outside and inside—I decide this is not the moment to showcase that specific talent. I fear my mother wouldn't appreciate it.

Also, I'd have to explain yet another adventure to her involving a Polyjuice potion, and should she not know about that, I'd love to keep all my other missteps a secret.

Hence, I wait outside the office in the corridor, winning a staring contest against the stone gargoyle protecting the entrance. I know the password, and it knows, too, but I linger rather than open my mouth.

After approximately five minutes, the gargoyle starts to move. The corkscrew stairs appear and move to the top, and when they come back down, I see my mother's high heels first. As the stairs do one more turn, I see two tiny shoes and immediately know who they belong to.

'Ellie!' My little brother comes running to me, throwing his arms around me and burying his face in the pit of my stomach. 'I've missed you so much.'

'Same here, my love,' I say, kissing him on the forehead. 'What are you doing here?'

Mum places her hand protectively on Theodore's back as if I was a threat to his life and he shouldn't come so close. I swallow the urge to tell her that I won't hurt him and that I didn't for years and never meant to. But we've had that discussion a million times. She should know.

'I took the liberty of speaking to Headmaster Black ahead of Theodore's eleventh birthday next week,' Mum replies. 'I deemed it sensible, considering he might need some assistance, and I wish to be informed about his well-being at all times.'

Her words run deep into my bones, making me feel small and ashamed. 'I'll do everything I can to protect him. I hope you know that,' I say meekly. 'Promise.'

Mum's expression changes from anger to sorrow to kindness. In the end, she sighs. 'I know you will. I just thought getting help from the faculty would be wise.'

'It sure is,' I say. Then I look back down at my brother. 'How about a meal in the Great Hall? Breakfast isn't over yet. Wouldn't that be something?'

'Oh, I don't know, Elara,' Mum intervenes. 'I thought I could just pick you up and get going.'

'Please?' Theodore begs. 'Please, please, please. I would love to see the Great Hall.' He takes my hand, ready to go, and looks up at our mother with puppy eyes.

She rubs her temple as if we're getting on her last nerve. 'Fine. Breakfast and get packing, but you'll be home by noon, am I clear?' She looks from Theodore to me and back. 'And if I hear one thing from him about people you shouldn't be conversing with, I'll make him tell me. Am I clear?'