chapter four

[ • • ★ PLAN A: STEAL THE WAND WHEN NO ONE'S AROUND ★ • • ]

THAT NIGHT , after making sure everyone else was sound asleep, Mal and Evie set out on their mission to find Jay and Carlos's room and plot the wand heist. As they navigated the dimly lit hallways of the dorm, they quickly realized that finding the boys' room was more challenging than anticipated.

"Where are we?" Evil muttered, glancing around in frustration.

Evie, closely trailing behind her, was consulting her mirror for guidance, but they seemed to be no closer to their destination. Every time Evie tried to ask a passing student for directions, they would quickly duck into their rooms, leaving the girls feeling increasingly lost.

Just as they were about to give up, a deep voice called out from behind them, starting both girls.

"You're currently in the boys' wing of the dorm," the voice said.

Turning around, Mal and Evie were taken aback to see none other than Prince Finn standing there. He was carrying a blanket and an extension cord, and his slightly disheveled appearance indicated he had likely been in the middle of settling down for the night. The girls couldn't help but feel a wave of relief at his presence, especially Evie, who seemed more at ease around him.

"Princess Evie, Mal," Finn greeted them with a warm smile and a bow. Evie giggled and returned the bow, while Mal offered a polite nod.

"Hey, Prince Finnick," Mal said, doing her best to sound respectful. She wanted to avoid raising any suspicion, considering Finn's royal status. Finn made a playful pout.

"Please, just call me Finn. Prince Finnick feels too formal," he insisted.

Badly grinned and nodded. "We're a bit lost looking for Jay and Carlos's room," she explained.

"We wanted to check in on them. You know, new place, new people and all," Evie added, twirling a strand of hair.

"No problem," Finn said, turning in a different direction from where the girls had been heading. "It's this way."

"It's lucky we ran into him," Mal whispered to Evie.

"Lucky indeed," Evie murmured, her eyes following Finn's messy hair as he led them down the hallway.

As they walked, Mal noticed the sleepiness in Finn's eyes. "Why are you still up?" she asked.

"Carlos called my room asking for an extra cord and blanket," Finn said, rubbing his eyes. "I'm just bringing these to him."