Chapter 11

They fell back and glared at the sun above.

"Shit. Sutton, I know you have an empty baggy in your pocket. Give it to me."

"Bro, it's empty."

"I know. I can make more of whatever you had in it. No, Xavier give me the pills in your pocket."

"You're a demon and you need drugs? Why can't you just heal?"

"I made seals. Those seals draw the shadows elsewhere to protect the hosts. I have to replenish myself and right now, it's only the normal amount of human chaos."

"So, what you're saying is, the more fucked up shit is, the stronger we all become," Sutton asked.

His own personal shadows resting firmly on his shoulders draped like a cloak.

"If that's how you want to describe it sure. You draw most of your abilities from chaos energy. The other half is well, what do humans call it? Self-deprecating activities. Drug use, alcoholism. Getting into random fights over your favorite sports teams. These things divert internal chaos energy however, drawing only on one's own chaos is dangerous."

"Only one has done it before," Detroit sighed, finishing the bottle of pills.

"Oh yeah? And who was that?" Madison snorted. "The patriarch?"

"No. Me actually," Detroit shrugged. "The one and only."

Sutton glared at Detroit; the seed planted. The warning to him felt like an invitation to challenge the pureblood demon but friendly competition was always healthy.

Once Detroit is on their feet, they are amazed that Madison is the first one to leap off the rooftop and roll right into the police headquarters. The shadows surrounded him and down in his crouch he could hear all the officers preparing to draw their weapons. They arrested him, and when he was seizing from all the crap he put into his system, they left him on the ground in cuffs.

Paramedics weren't called until a passing bystander (one that he now knows was Detroit) demanded one be called. It wasn't his time and Detroit made sure that he reached this pinnacle. These officers were known for dropping cases, hurting innocent minorities, and getting people locked up on trump charges.

"Get down on the ground and spread out your arms and legs!"

"How about I do this instead?"

Madison raised his arms and the heads of every person in that building exploded. He chuckled and then stood up to his full height.

"Whoa. I DID NOT expect it to go so well. Holy shit!"

He ran outside, still covered in blood.

"GUYS COME CHECK THIS OUT! I LITERALLY JUST PROFESSOR X'D A BUNCH OF COPS! OR MAYBE IT WAS PHOENIX! I DON'T KNOW! JUST GET DOWN HERE!"

Madison shouted up to his friends, other people were screaming at the display, all horrified by the amount of gore present at the scene. It's Xavier who finished the bystanders off and shook his head at Madison.

"This is too messy. Look at all of this! Madison, we have to be more strategic about this."

"Strategic? You just killed like a hundred people with the swipe of a hand and coated these streets in blood."

Xavier looked down the street and immediately hadn't realized that something that simple would cause so much harm. He meant to push them away, but he ended up eviscerating most of them, others were dragging themselves to a grave. Limbs were strewn across the pavement and onlookers were killed in their homes from the shattered glass.