Transformation

The entire group spent about 5 minutes just staring at my wings. They were all surrounding me asking question after question about how I got them and questioning the slightly purple tint my skin was starting to develop, which I hadn't even noticed, but I didn't hear them, I was only focused on Wilbur's reaction. He was... speechless. Literally. He tried to speak but couldn't string the words together. It was like someone had muted him. He looked about 15 different emojis, none of which I could properly point out. He probably had a million questions but he couldn't put words together properly to ask them. I wondered what was going on in his head.

Wilbur POV:

I didn't know what to say. It's like I was seeing a ghost. There's no way... she couldn't be... no, Arin's dead. This is Alex. This is a different girl. But the wings... and skin... it could be her.

I wanted to scream, I wanted to cry, I wanted to run, but something was stopping me.

I had only one question, but I can guarantee it didn't look like it.

Is this really her?

I... didn't know. For once, I didn't have an answer. I don't know how I didn't notice it sooner. Even when I first saw her, she looked like Arin. The short brown hair, tied perfectly into a small ponytail. The purple hoodie with the drastic designs and fake wings sewn on. She even had the same jeans and sneakers, the ones mum gave her, when we first met. The memories...

I small tear rolled down my cheek just thinking about it. I hadn't gotten over her death. Nothing could make me forget her. I've thought about her everyday since the accident. But.. thinking back... in the chat... there was never a death message. Maybe it IS her. Maybe I'm not hallucinating, and it is her. My friend... is that you in her body? Arin?

"Maybe, maybe not. Who am I to tell?" I was looking down from thinking about her, I didn't realize that the others had left. The only one left was a shadow. The shadow slowly transformed into a ghost of Arin.

"A-arin?! Is that-" I reached out but my hand phased through. "Are you really dead?" At that moment, I really had a million questions. "Well, you know how it goes. No death message. I didn't die, I just moved on. I'm a new person. In a new body. But who knows, maybe that is just me, with a new name and no memories. You'll never know. Cause I won't tell." Arin smiled down on me with that same cheeky smile I remember so vividly.

"I..." I started to choke up, the smell and feel of tears overwhelming my senses. Arin sat down in front of me to try and comfort me, but she couldn't. "Hey... it's ok... it was never your fault. I don't blame you. I never did and never would." I looked up as the whisper of Arin telling me she loved me slowly left my ears, being replaced with the sound of a worried Alex. "Wilbur! Are you ok? Where did you go? Why did you run? What's wrong?" She sat down in front of me, holding me in a tight embrace. I hugged her back and cried into her arms. We sat like that for maybe a minute. I stopped crying and Alex dried my tears. "Hey... it's ok... I'm here for you. I'll always be here for you..." She lightly held my cheek, looking into my eyes, hers filled with love and compassion. "You even sound like her... who are you really?" I said, a little too loud.

Alex looked confused. "What do you mean? I'm Alex." I got up and helped her up, then backed away a bit. "You look, sound, and act exactly like my friend Arin. before she died, or at least i thought she died.so i'll ask you one more time, who ARE you?" I said. I don't know why I said it. it just felt right in the moment.

She looked taken aback, like everything I was saying was new information to her. I didn't believe her one bit. I know I should've but something didn't let me. "I still don't know what you're talking about. Look, I'm sorry about your friend, but I'm not her. I understand grief can make you do see and say crazy shit but I swear I'm not her."

She's lying to you...

The voice in my head was louder than my own. I stood up and left. I went to my room. I don't know what was wrong with me. I needed sleep...