1.

summer love - black party

|||||

Emori's Townhouse

Emori Dawn Windsor. The name she loved more than anything in the world. The name that her mother gave her at birth. It was the name she hadn't heard her mother say in 6 years yet could remember exactly how it sounded coming from her lips.

Catherine Windsor was a force to be reckoned with and that was for anybody who knew her. It didn't matter if you were her children or husband, she was going to speak exactly what came to her mind. It was where Emori got her confidence from and why she always made sure her voice was heard. Her mother taught her that her voice mattered in every room she walked into and Emori took that into everything she did.

Emori thought about her mother's soft voice as she looked over the picture frame on her kitchen island. It was one of the last pictures she'd take with Catherine and she cherished it more than anything else in her possession. Just as she started to reminisce on the last time she saw her mother, her phone went off with a text.

Javon
i'm outside

Emori grabbed her phone and lighter before sliding into her Tory Burch sandals and walking down the steps to meet her brother outside.

Javon greeted his sister with a side hug and kiss on the cheek. Despite being the younger sibling, his father always instilled the need to protect Emori. Growing up with a big sister like Enori was something not a lot of his friends had. Emori didn't care where she was or what she was doing, if Javon needed her, she was there. As he's gotten older, protecting her just came as second nature.

"Hey, lil Romeo." Emori teased him, brushing off his shoulders.

"Watch out, dude. Shit been itching like fuck." Javon huffed.

Emori had recently braided down Javon's afro into four cornrows and despite him making a fuss about it, he did love them. He had been getting attention from girls at school and it gave him more time in the mornings instead of doing his own hair.

"Uh-uh, all that cussing. Have you been putting the gel on it like I told you?" she looked at him, pointedly.

"I forget before I go to school. Chill on me. Pops don't be reminding me." Javon shrugged, pulling out a bag of weed from his shorts.

"It's not his job to remind you. How is he?" Emori asked, hesitant to hear about her father.

"Better than he's always been. He's at the gym more than me these days. He asks about you all the time." Javon lightly nudged her shoulder as he started to roll the blunt.

Emori sighed as she thought about her father and how strained their relationship had been for almost two years now. When their parents got divorced two years before Catherine passed, Emori vowed to stay with her mother while Javon was too young to understand the situation so he stayed with Alonzo. It was hard for Emori to develop that relationship with her father at the young age she was because she had been with her mother majority of the time.

Emori couldn't exactly pinpoint what the turning point was in their relationship but when her mother passed, Emori didn't have the desire to grow closer to him. Maybe it was the fact that she'd spent majority of her preteen-teenage years with her mother or maybe it was the fact that he hadn't exactly reached out to her either. Alonzo felt that his daughter should've reached out but he didn't understand that it was his responsibility to make sure his child knew he was there for her.