Chapter 2: I pick my poison, and it's you.

As the night went by, Maxi hid in the storage room of the ship, with barely any money and only spirit to drive her life, she realised how underprepared she was to tackle the world

As the night went by, Maxi hid in the storage room of the ship, with barely any money and only spirit to drive her life, she realised how underprepared she was to tackle the world. In her small bag, she had water, a few silver coins and a knife. This wasn't enough to last her more than a night. As she pondered about her situation, a risky idea crossed her mind.

"This is going to be tough"

She decided, in the dead of the night, she raised her stature as she stealthily decided to patrol this ship. The ship was stout and bold, at a height enough to scare anyone who dared look down, it had a well-planned organisation. The storage room, where Maxi stayed, was filled with weapons. She decides to pack up a sword when she leaves the ship. 

Right now, hunger engulfed her, a hunger so dreadful that if ignored any further, she wouldn't survive. Staking a gamble, she searched for the kitchen while evading the eyes of the men who guarded the ship, those men had a tall structure and dark skin, signifying they were foreigners. She went into the kitchen, only to stare into the scary eyes of those foreigners who caught her sneaking into their food lair. Maxi didn't expect anyone to be inside the kitchen right now but alas! Here she was.

She ran outside as fast as she could, only for her way to be blocked by the guards who caught her. She had no means to escape, and if they didn't kill her, her hunger soon will. Surrendering to the guards, Maxi's presence was announced to the whole ship, and each one of them woke up in horror, wondering how someone could break into their heavily guarded ship. They all looked at Maxi, covered in a long overcoat, dressed like a commoner. However, her demeanour could fool no one into believing she was a common woman. 

As the guards restrained her, she spoke, "I apologise for the inconvenience I have caused you, I wish no harm to you people, for I don't even know who you are. However, I wish to meet the person highest status here, and make my plea." 

The guards were baffled at her audacity but also intrigued by how she spoke. She didn't look like them and spoke the Roem language. Her grace radiates nobility. Nodding at each other, they decided to take her to the person of the highest status currently available on the ship, Mr. Calto, a high wizard from Nornui.

Calto, upon hearing the news of an intruder and her insolence, ordered them to bring her to him. She stood restrained in front of him, but her eyes never showed any submission. She had left her subservient nature behind to advance into her new self, but it didn't mean she wasn't scared. Her hunger only worsens her physical state and anxiety, but this doesn't mean she won't fight for herself.

Being as polite as possible, she bowed and introduced herself.  "My Lord, forgive my intrusion. My name is Maximilian, I am a stowaway."

"Your Roem conduct is fooling no one, Maximilian. Your clothes may be humble but your soul screeches noble. I beckon you to speak the truth, young lady." 

As she hears that, her eyes widen in surprise at how easily her deception is seen through. "My Lord, I belong to the family of Duke Croyso, I was the wife of Riftan Calype but recently divorced him.  I wished to move as far away from Wedon as possible, to restart my life and stay independent of any influence from my father, you need not worry about Riftan, for he is now my past forever."

Her words were laced with hope and melancholy, there was no doubt that she spoke the truth. After hearing her out, she was immediately released from the bindings, "My lady, I apologise for the lack of hospitality. But dare I ask a question?"

Maxi nodded her head, signalling him to ask his question.

"What now?"

These words stung her heart unknowingly, for even she was unsure of her future. She got on this ship only thinking of escape as far as this ship went, but she couldn't make such a silly declaration. 

"I wish to travel and seek knowledge to gain independence and thrive, I do not wish to live like a rogue, but unless I build myself, I seek solitude."

"My lady, in times like today, it is unsafe for a woman to travel alone, especially when the road ahead is unknown." 

"I may look alone, but I have the companionship of my pride and belief with me, but before I speak more, I wish to know the name of the lord with whom I speak."

Calto was slightly flustered at his improper self, "Forgive me for my manners, my lady. My name is Calto, and I am a high wizard at the World Tower, located on the island of Nornui, as we speak, this ship is heading towards the World Tower."

"The World Tower?"

"Yes, My lady, we will reach the World Tower in the span of two days".

Maxi was left stunned. She expected to at least land in a port town in Livadon but Nornui? 

No. She cannot let this chance pass by, her father's men won't reach there nor she will be plagued by the divorcee tag that much, staking yet another gamble, she looks into the eyes of Mr. Calto and speaks

"I wish to be a wizard."

Could you come again, My lady??

Maxi has decided, that in this world filled with poison, she chose the months of labour to achieve magic, as hers. Why poison? Because Maxi is yet to experience the nectar of her journey.