07: The Leap

The atmosphere at the quaint restaurant was warm and inviting. The four of them settled into a cozy booth, the dim lighting creating an intimate setting perfect for conversation. As they perused the menus, Jinhwan and Bora exchanged knowing glances, silently agreeing to steer the evening in a direction that would help Jinki and Hwayoung connect on a deeper level.

"So, Onew-nim," Jinhwan began, leaning back comfortably in his seat, "what's something you've learned about life that you think everyone should know?"

Jinki smiled thoughtfully. "I guess one of the most important things I've learned is to always stay true to yourself. It's easy to get lost in what others expect of you or what society deems as successful, but at the end of the day, you need to be happy with who you are and the choices you make."

Bora chimed in, her eyes twinkling with curiosity. "And how do you stay true to yourself, especially with all the pressures and expectations you face?"

"It can be challenging," Jinki admitted. "But I think it comes down to knowing your values and what you stand for. Surrounding yourself with people who genuinely care about you and support you for who you are is crucial. They help keep you grounded."

Hwayoung, who had been listening intently, found herself drawn to Jinki's wisdom and sincerity. "I completely agree," she said softly. "Having a strong support system makes all the difference. It's easy to lose sight of yourself when you're constantly trying to meet external expectations."

Jinhwan seized the moment to shift the focus to Hwayoung. "Hwayoung has her own incredible insights too," he said, smiling at her. "She's faced her own set of challenges and has come out stronger because of them."

Jinki turned his attention to Hwayoung, genuine interest in his eyes. "I'd love to hear more about what you've learned through your experiences, Hwayoung-ssi." He unknowingly put his elbow on the table and rested his chin on his palm, facing her intently.

Hwayoung blushed slightly, feeling the intensity of Jinki's gaze. "Well, one thing I've learned is the importance of resilience," she began. "Life throws all sorts of obstacles your way, and sometimes it's hard to see a way forward. But if you keep pushing and stay true to your goals, things tend to work out eventually."

"That determination is incredible," Jinki said, admiration clear in his voice. "It's not easy to keep pushing forward, especially when things get tough."

"Living with my family wasn't the easiest. I only learned as I saw her. Hwayoung, she didn't back down even when my Dad threw a fit. The restaurant we have now was her efforts with negotiation and dealing with my father when I ran away abroad for some years. Hwayoung brought me home with some plans. She even completed her Masters in Business during that time." Jinhwan added, showcasing Hwayoung to Jinki.

"I heard some inspirational stories about your leadership too. You got award for being the best leader, didn't you?" Hwayoung asked, verifying what she learned about him from the internet. "You also brought the team globally and influenced the management. That was inspiring." Hwayoung praised Jinki naturally, diverting the attention to him.

"I just happened to be with good people. It was not some kind of a formal award or something." Jinki said humbly.

"You don't have to be so humble with me." Hwayoung teased him and looked away as she pretended to sip her drink.

Jinki's eyes got bigger, "You think I am pretending, do you? Why do you think I should do that in front of you?" He was confronted playfully.

"Uhm, not sure. Why are you acting like that Onew-nim?" Suddenly Hwayoung became overly polite as she teased him more. She loved seeing his flustered face as he got red and face beamed like a kid. She put her elbow on the table too, and suddenly they had an unintentional staring contest.