𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐄𝐍, mob mentality

"𝐒𝐡𝐢𝐭"

      𝐌𝐀𝐊𝐀𝐘𝐋𝐀 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 𝐒𝐇𝐄'𝐒 𝐍𝐎 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐎 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇. She's watched her own mother die in front of her, not a single person besides herself trying to stop her death from happening. She witnessed someone she thought was a good person, Atom, die. And she can't help but continue to blame herself, but she makes her best attempt at shaking those thoughts away.

      But what she's learned is that there's not exactly room to grieve on Earth. Especially when you're being hunted, by hundreds - maybe thousands, Makayla's not totally sure how many Grounders there are - of people who have lived on Earth for years. People who have pinpoint accuracy when throwing spears. People who know how to survive acid fog. 

      It doesn't help that she found Wells' body less than a day after she watched Atom die.

      The utter fear she felt when her eyes found his body, motionless on the ground, his blood infused with the dirt is engraved in her brain. It's instilled fear in the entire camp as well, because there's now people building a wall around the camp to secure themselves away from the danger of the Grounders.

      But building a wall around the camp to protect them won't reverse the fact that Wells wasn't protected. Building a wall around the camp to protect them won't erase the fact that Wells Jaha is dead.

      She feels like she owes it to the boy to lay him to rest. He was always nice to her, even though he was being constantly harassed by others. There was never a reason for him to be nice to her - especially since most people considered her to be a waste of oxygen back on the Ark - but he was always kind, and he demonstrated that on the ground too. 

      That's why she's outside of the camp's grounds, helping Clarke dig her friend's grave. 

      They haven't spoken much, Clarke being too upset to say anything. They quietly use their makeshift shovels (Makayla was able to get another thanks to Quinn, who made one out of scrap metal and a log), throwing the dirt off to the side without saying a word to each other.

      Makayla isn't surprised that Clarke is being silent. She doesn't blame her. She doesn't know the extent of their relationship, and she honestly thought that Clarke hated Wells, but maybe she's wrong. But Clarke has obviously been touched by the boy's death, so her silence isn't something bad.