13: A Rich Kid Cleaned the Field

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

As Gale picked up speed, the hearts of Steven and his entire team sank. Gale wasn’t just fast; he was incredibly fast, covering half the lap in forty seconds.

"Shit!" Steven cursed, sweat pouring down his face. He could almost feel their defeat looming over them.

He tried to get back on the track, but his knees betrayed him, shaking uncontrollably. He was exhausted, and continuing seemed impossible unless he planned to walk the rest of the way.

But what good would walking do? Their opponent’s speed rivaled that of Olympic runners. How could they possibly beat someone like that?

"Hey! Are you seeing this? How is that guy running so fast?"

"Look, it only took him a minute to finish a lap!"

"With the way things are going, he’ll hand Steven’s group a humiliating defeat in just five minutes!"

"This is unbelievable! How come we’ve never heard of someone with such talent and skill?"

"And did you see that he doesn’t even look tired?"

"Yeah! His breathing is normal, and he’s barely breaking a sweat!"

"I bet he could finish twenty laps if he wanted to."

"This is incredible!"

The spectators' comments, loud and excited, reached Steven's ears.

'These shameless pricks!' Steven thought, throwing sharp glares at the onlookers. He wanted to punch the faces of these turncoats who had been fawning over him and his team earlier while calling Gale names. Now that the tables had turned, they were already admiring the very person they had called trash and an idiot just minutes ago.

Three minutes later, Gale finished his tenth lap and came to a stop, his breath steady, a smug smile plastered on his face. He turned to Steven's group, his eyes gleaming with confidence.

"Are you done resting? Come on, let's continue this race! Or shall we end this challenge now?" Gale taunted, his voice dripping with mockery. "It doesn't matter to me! As you can see, I’m not even tired! I can do this all day," he added, his words making Steven’s and his team's lips twitch with annoyance. But what else could they do?

Continue the challenge by just walking because they were exhausted? Or push themselves to their limits and risk severe fatigue?

Gale was more than a lap ahead of them, and it was clear he still had plenty of stamina. As much as they hated to admit it, the crowd's comments seemed true. In Gale's condition, he could easily go for another ten laps.

Steven stood there, contemplating his next move. Deep down, he knew they had already lost to the very person they had dismissed as a piece of trash. There was nothing they could do now to win. They had zero chances.

Accepting defeat felt like swallowing a bitter pill. It was unbearable, especially since they had lost to the person they had mocked and underestimated. The sting of humiliation was almost too much to bear.

"Damn it!" Steven cursed in frustration, unable to find a better excuse for their defeat.

"Hey guys! If you can't take it anymore, just accept your defeat and concede!" Gale taunted, he has a wide smile on his face designed to irritate them further. "Anyway, there are nine of you, so it shouldn't be too hard to clean up the entire field!"