Chapter 15: POV Lister

The next think I know, I'm running, and I don't know where I'm going. I'm really hoping to hear another set of footsteps behind me, Jimmys voice calling after me, but there's nothing. Nothing, and no one. I press my back against a wall, sliding down it, onto the dusty floor. I close my eyes, breathing deeply.
I vaguely know that guy, and he internationally famous as a 'golden boy'. Something inside me wants to scream 'he's not a saint, and he's not what you think, he's an actor' at the whole world, just so they know. So they know that he almost ruined my chance with the love of my life, and he's about to try again.
It's then that I hear the footsteps down the hallway, and the shaky voice calling 'Lister?' into each corridor. I want to ignore it, want to wallow in this anger and self pity for a while longer, but he came after me. He cares about me.
'Hey,' I call out into the room, and Jimmy runs over to me, hugging me and promising that everything is fine and saying he loves me and no one else. I hold him close to me and murmur
'It's okay. I can do this,' more to myself than to him.
I can do this. I know it as we walk into the tent, and as I use all my willpower to not glare at the guy. All I have to do is bake a Victoria Sponge and not kill anyone. Easy.
Except for the fact that I have absolutely no idea how to make a Victoria Sponge. We were supposed to practice, but, unsurprisingly, I did not. However, Rowan did practice, and is now staring down at his ingredients with the fiery determination of someone who enjoys the act of trying. I truly, truly can't relate.
When Paul appears, I'm just chucking ingredients into a bowl and hoping for the best.
'What?' I grin at him. He smirks. 'I know, I'm naturally talented,'
'Love, we all know that's not true,' Jimmy turns round to say.
'Shut up,' I say. 'I'm better than you, anyway,'
'Kind.' Jimmy grins, and Rowan mutters something that sounds like 'what a functional relationship,' and it seems that we've all forgotten we're on TV. It's fine. We're coming out today, anyway.
A while later, I shout to Rowan
'Ro? How's it going?'
'Everything is fine.' he snaps back at me.
'Yikes,'
'Leave me alone, I'm busy,'
'Okay.'
Jimmy wipes his forehead, somehow getting ingredients on himself. I reach out and wipe the flour off his face. Jimmy bats my hand away
'Fuck off,'
'Don't swear, we're on TV,'. He purses his lips. I grin at him. I can tell he wants to swear at me again.
***
We get a break after the signature challenge, and I'm pulled into an extremely dumb conversation with an extremely hot girl. I keep it going, just to be polite, and all throughout, I actively wish for the sweet release of death. When I say this to Jimmy afterwards, he just says
'You've already come close enough,' and gives me look that makes me want to kiss him.
                                            ***
'For this week's technical challenge, Paul and Prue would like you to make six identical pork pies,'. I don't think I've ever eaten a pork pie in my life. At least this one comes with instructions.
I'm kneading my pastry dough when Rowan runs in front of me like a gazelle. Apparently, he needs a very specific pan for his pork pies.
I wander over to Jimmy, who's kneading his dough.
'What?' he asks 'You know I have zero arm muscles,'
I hold out my own arms. 'What, and I do?'
'Your's are longer, that's got to count for something,'. I stay there for a minute, watching Jimmy knead his dough. He looks up at me.
'Can you do it for me?'
'Nope.'
'So much for supportive boyfriend,' he says. I grin.
'I can do this, though,' I reach out and grab a handful of his hair, pulling him into a kiss. He huffs a bit in surprise, but returns it fully.
'I didn't realise this was a jazz brunch,' says Sandi's voice.
'That doesn't seem sanitary,' Noel is saying.
'Sorry,' Jimmy says, sheepishly.
'Don't be,' Noel tells him.
'I'm not,' I say.