Nirbhaya

Warning: Gang rape, torture, physical assault, murder

Jyoti Singh was a 23-year-old physiotherapy intern who was beaten, tortured, and gang raped in South Delhi, India

Jyoti was born on the 10th of May 1990 in Dehli. She had three brothers and was the oldest. She belonged to a middle-class family. Her mom was a housewife, and her father worked two shifts to maintain the family.

Not much is known about Jyoti, so there isn't much background information on her - which is usually the case with rape cases in India. That's why everyone calls her Nirbhaya, which means "Fearless".

On the 16th of December 2012, Jyoti Singh and her male friend, Avindra Pratap Pandey, had just finished watching the movie, "Life of Pi" at a cinema. They took an auto rikshaw to Munirka Bus Stand.

Both then boarded a private bus to Dwarka at about 9:30 pm. Other than the two, six men were also on the bus, including the bus driver.

These six men were Mukesh Singh, his brother - Ram Singh, Vinay Sharma, Pawan Gupta, Akshay Thakur, and 17-year-old Mohammed Afroz.

Mohammed Afroz was the one who told the victims that the bus was heading to where they wanted to go - he took 10 rupees from each as a fee

Avindra got suspicious about the men on the bus, especially after the bus took a different route. As Avindra confronted the men about this, they taunted the pair and made disgusting comments about them.

The confrontation escalated into a fight where the men ended up beating Avindra up with an iron rod. They gagged him and knocked him unconscious.

Then, the men dragged Jyoti to the back of the bus and began beating her, too. They beat her with the same iron rod and gang-raped her while the driver continued to drive the bus.

A medical report revealed that Jyoti suffered severe injuries to her abdomen, intestines, and genitals. It was also revealed that the injuries on her private parts and intestines were the result of a foreign object being forced into her. Meaning they raped her with, suspectingly, the iron rod.