Chapter 3: Cease-fire

The next day, the bustling campus was alive with the energy of students heading to their classes. Clara and Love found themselves in their shared philosophy class, where their professor, Dr. Thompson, was known for his interactive and challenging assignments. As the students settled in, Dr. Thompson began to explain the day's task.

"Today, you'll be working with a partner to solve a set of questions I've laid out for you. These questions will require both logical reasoning and creative thinking, so I'll be calling out your names and who you're to be paired with," he said, looking around the room.

Love held her breath, hoping she wouldn't be paired with anyone too difficult to work with. But fate had other plans. As chance would have it, Clara and Love ended up paired together. Clara gave a small sigh, while Love tried to suppress a groan. They exchanged a look, half-exasperated and half-amused.

"Looks like it's you and me, Vonsbein," Love said, rolling her eyes.

"Indeed, Pattranite. Let's try not to kill each other hmm, and call a truce for now." Clara replied with a smirk.

Mia turned to Clara. "Agreed, Vonsbein. A truce for now."

They found a quiet corner of the room and began working on the assignment. The questions were challenging, requiring a mix of analytical and creative thinking. Clara's logical mind breezed through the initial problems, while Love's creative approach added a unique perspective.

However, Love soon found herself stuck on a particularly tricky question. She stared at the paper, her brows furrowed in concentration, muttering to herself. Love pouted her lips, tapping her pen against her notebook. "This one's got me stumped," she admitted, frustration creeping into her voice.

Clara watched her struggle for a moment before leaning over. "Need some help, Love?"

Love glanced up, her frustration evident. "I can handle it."

Clara raised an eyebrow. "Clearly. But if you keep staring at it like that, it won't solve itself."

Love huffed. "Fine, what do you suggest?"

Clara pointed to a part of the question Love had overlooked. She explained the solution step-by-step, her voice calm and patient. "You missed this crucial detail. It changes the whole approach."

Love's eyes widened as she realized her mistake. "Oh, I see it now. Thanks, Clara."

Clara gave her a playful smile. "No problem. I didn't think you'd struggle with such a simple question."

Love shot her a mock glare. "Hey, everyone has their off days."

Clara chuckled. "Sure, sure. Just try to keep up."

They continued their work, their banter light and playful. As they settled into a rhythm, the tension between them seemed to ease, replaced by a comfortable atmosphere. They exchanged ideas, teased each other, and found themselves laughing more than they expected.

At one point, Love made a particularly witty retort that caught Clara off guard. Clara laughed, a genuine, carefree sound that was rare for her. Love paused, taken aback by how charming Clara's laugh was. It was a beautiful sight, her usually stern features softening, her eyes crinkling at the corners. She had never seen Clara so relaxed, and it made her heart skip a beat.

Clara noticed Love staring and raised an eyebrow. "What?"

Love shook her head, smiling. "Nothing. Just... it's nice to see you laugh."

Clara felt a warmth spread through her at Love's words. "Well, don't get used to it," she said, though her tone was more gentle than usual.

As they continued working, Clara found herself noticing Love's smile more often. It was bright and infectious, and Clara couldn't help but think that Love looked particularly pretty today. It was a thought she quickly pushed aside, refusing to admit even to herself.