Chapter Forty-One

Jin stood by the door with Jungkook, fidgeting with his fingers nervously. It was the first time he was going to meet Jungkook's mother, and for some reason, he felt more anxious than he had ever been—even more anxious than when Jungkook had met his parents. He didn't care much about anything back then, but now, it was different. This time, he cared.

"What should I call your mom? You never told me her name."

"Jungkook looked at Jin and replied, "That's because you never asked me her name. Her name is Yunhee."

With his eyes closed and his hands resting over his belly, Jin paid no mind to Jungkook. The weight of 36 weeks of pregnancy had taught him that sometimes saying less was better, especially when Jungkook tested his patience. Anticipation was building, with the due date just under four weeks away.

He felt like he had been pregnant forever and was eager to reach the end of this journey and finally meet their baby. As he reflected on the preparations made with Jungkook, he couldn't help but feel that they had possibly done more than necessary, pouring their hearts into getting ready for their little one's arrival. He was happy about this as he would much rather they were overprepared.

As the door swung open, an older woman greeted Jungkook with a warm smile and embraced him tightly. "My sweet Jungkook, how are you, baby?" she said, planting a gentle kiss on his cheek. "I've missed you. You don't visit like you used to."

Jin stood still, his eyes following the interaction between Jungkook and his mother. He observed Jungkook hugging her but noticed the absence of any verbal response. After Jungkook pulled away from her, he gestured towards Jin and spoke, "Mom, this is Seokjin, my partner whom I have informed you about several times. Due to your repeated requests, I was able to find time for us to meet and introduce you to Seokjin. Seokjin, this is my mother, Yunhee. Please greet her nicely."

Jin's face lit up with a warm smile as he made a courteous attempt to bow respectfully to Yunhee. However, Yunhee gently intervened, halting his gesture by taking hold of his arm. "Please, that's not necessary. You are pregnant," she insisted before enveloping Jin in a tight, affectionate hug. "It's so wonderful to finally meet you. I have heard a lot about you," she expressed, her voice filled with genuine joy.

"Nice to meet you as well. I've also heard a lot about you."

"You did?" Yunhee asked, pulling back in surprise at Jin's response. "I am surprised my son talks about me."

"I don't. He probably found out about you through Yoongi's spouse," Jungkook remarked as he opened the front door and gestured for everyone to enter. "Could we please continue the introductions inside? Seokjin shouldn't be on his feet for too long."

"Absolutely. Seokjin, you're welcome to come inside," Yunhee said, gesturing for Jin to enter with a warm smile on her face.

******

Yunhee stared adoringly at Jin, seated beside him on the sofa. She eagerly showed him an album filled with photos of Jungkook from his younger days and commented, "He has always been so handsome."

As Jin went through the album, he asked, "Was he not one to smile often?"

"He would only smile when he felt like it, and even then, it was mostly with his eyes. When he was younger, capturing his smile in photographs was a challenge. He would only genuinely smile when promised a new book or puzzle."

"Really?" Jin asked as he looked at Yunhee. I am guessing he loved reading and puzzles."

Yunhee found herself reminiscing with a chuckle about the cherished moments from her son's early years. "He had a knack for solving puzzles quickly and was an avid reader. We had to convert one of the rooms into a library and later expand it to accommodate his growing collection of books. My husband and I were amazed by how fast he learned and grasped new things. We then realized his exceptional giftedness, motivating us to learn how to be the parents he needed."