Chapter 37: You Called

There she sat, anxiety eating away at her slowly. The tapping of her fingers on the table before her echoed through the room as she stared blankly ahead.

Her brain had begun running laps with multiple potential outcomes, leaving her in turmoil. A warm hand gently fell over her own, tapping it lightly. It was a small sign that everything was okay.

Turning her head, she is met with the warm gaze of Ling Wen.

“They'll be fine (Y/N).” She nods, moving her hand to hold out a brush and a scroll for (Y/N) to use. “You can use this to write, draw, or whatever if it helps to distract your mind”

Silently, (Y/N) stared at the paper, unsure what to draw. That was until an idea sparked in her mind.

“Ling Wen?” She calls out, not saying her next words until she hears a hum for a response “Do you have a mask?”

“I can see if I do” She replies, standing and walking through the many shelves “I am sure I do have some spare somewhere”

“Why do you need one?” She questions, peeking out from beyond the shelves, watching as (Y/N) shifted in her spot. She was planning something. She held the brush in hand, gently forming structures on the paper before her.

She didn't reply to Ling Wen, instead drawing out the outline of a village from above on the paper.

When she had not received a reply, Ling Wen had glanced over to (Y/N), who remained focused on the paper. With the mask in hand, she walked over, looking at what was drawn out.

“A map?” She questions, looking at the younger girl. (Y/N) hums in acknowledgment, placing the brush down.

“I'm going to try my plan while the ghosts are distracted” She replies gently, taking the mask from Ling Wen. “At least then it gives me a better chance at succeeding”

Sighing Ling Wen motions for the (Y/N) to follow her. “If you go out there, at least don't wear those clothes, you will be recognizable”

Her eyes widen as she follows behind quietly. “You're not going to stop me? But won't you get in trouble with Xie Lian?”

“So what?” Ling Wen chuckles. “He may be strong, but I can't stop you from possibly winning. Like you say, in war, sacrifices must be made”

“If letting you go is a sacrifice that must be made, so be it” Ling Wen smiles, patting (Y/N) on the head. She had brought her into a room where folded on the bed were different piles of clothes.

“Go ahead and look for what to change into. I'll wait out here” She replies. Before leaving, Ling Wen takes the mask and closes the door behind her.

Once the door had closed (Y/N) looked over the options she was provided. Her gaze landed on a white and dark pink outfit that could help her blend into the crowd. Immediately, she put it on.

The top piece was a creamy white, with a belt of pink and gold resting around her waist, the ribbon tied and dangling slightly. The skirt underneath was a light gold, almost pink color much like the belt. On her shoulders, above the outfit was a white coat which transitioned the gold the farther down it went. A small design of flowers littered the bottom of the coat.

It was the colors her people wore in the village. At least the colors the women would wear.

Stepping out of the room, she faces Ling Wen, who holds out the mask for her. Gently, she places it on the girl's face and takes a step back, admiring the work to put together the outfit.

“Alright, now if anything happens, tell me, and I'll let Xie Lian know right away.” She replies, patting her shoulder. “Good luck out there”

(Y/N) nods her head with a determined look crossing her features.