Chapter 6 | Dusk, The Junkyard Of Memories

Reza and Jordan worked together, their hands and arms straining against the heavy debris that had fallen and trapped Mike and Qasim.

Sweat poured down their faces as they pushed and pulled at the broken framework, their movements fueled by urgency and determination.

"Come on, we need to get this off them!" Reza grunted, his muscles straining with the effort. Jordan, beside him, grimaced with exertion but kept her focus sharp.

"I know! Reza, watch out for falling pieces!" Jordan warned, her voice strained but clear. She shifted a large chunk of metal with all her strength, managing to push it to the side just enough to create a small gap.

...

Meanwhile, Jo and Aren made their way through the dark, shifting corridors, searching for Bailey, Arielle, and Joshua.

The dim lighting cast long shadows that danced eerily on the walls, adding to the tension.

Jo walked close to Aren, their shoulders occasionally brushing. She glanced at him, her worry evident. "Do you think they're okay?"

Aren looked back at her, his expression softening despite the grim circumstances. "I hope so. To be honest, I'd say they just ran off to avoid us. But, even then, we need to find them quickly. We can't afford to be separated like this... so many hours before nighttime."

Their brief moment of comfort was interrupted by a distant noise, the sound of movement that seemed to come from around the next corner.

They quickened their pace, hope flaring as they headed towards the source of the noise, hoping it would lead them to their missing friends.

However, as Jo and Aren turned the corner...

"Evelyn... Charlie? And... Haneen and Sabrina too," Aren called out, his voice a mix of relief and concern. "What are you all doing here?"

Haneen, ever polite, stepped forward and answered, "We just heard a crash and came to see if everyone was okay. What happened? Is everyone alright?"

Jo exchanged a quick glance with Aren before explaining, "A part of the framework fell and separated us from Mike and Qasim. We don't know their condition yet."

Evelyn's eyes widened even more, her fear palpable. "Are they... are they hurt?"

Aren shook his head, frustration boiling over as they'd just explained they didn't know, yet trying to remain calm for everyone's sake. "We... don't know. Reza and Jordan are working on moving the debris to get to them. We're trying to find Bailey, Arielle, and Joshua."

Sabrina looked down, her timidity making her voice barely audible. "They're missing too, huh...? Do you think they're alright?"

Jo placed a reassuring hand on Sabrina's shoulder. "We hope so. We're searching for them."

Charlie nodded slightly, his timidity giving way to a sense of determination. "We'll help."

But then, a sudden noise from behind them made everyone jump. The sound of grinding metal and shifting debris echoed through the corridor, a stark reminder of the perilous situation they were in.

"Let's hurry then," Aren urged, his eyes meeting Jo's with a shared understanding. "First of all, this place isn't safe. Plus, we need to find them and then go back to help Reza and Jordan."

However, as they began to move forward together, a sudden realization struck Aren. He halted abruptly, causing Jo and the others to stop as well.

"Wait," Aren said, his brow furrowing in confusion. "If we're all here—Jo, Haneen, Sabrina, Charlie, Evelyn, and myself—and Qasim and Mike are... supposedly, trapped under debris, and Jordan and Reza are working to free them, plus Arielle, Bailey, and Joshua went off together, then... where's Mason?"