Chapter 1

I knew it was coming. I knew I had to run, but I couldn't. They'd track me down, they'd catch me. My mother told me I was going to be okay. But I could see the fear and anger in her eyes.

I couldn't lie, I wasn't afraid. I was angry. For sixteen years I have been controlled by the government, and now they're going to take me away. I won't stand for this, but I have no say. I will vanish, my mother won't miss me- because she won't remember me.

For years I have wondered why the government would do this. But I remain without an answer, and I don't think I will ever find out.

I stood in my living room, staring at my wall. Paint chipped off from when my father used to bang my mothers small, fragile body against the wall.

"Ajax." I heard my mother's voice from behind me. I turned so I was face to face with my mother. Her eyes were red and swollen from crying, but she managed to keep looking like her beautiful self.

"You're strong, and smart. I believe that you will do just fine." She whispered.

Do fine in what? She knew something that I didn't. But what was it?

"Do fine in what?" I questioned angrily. "You know something!" I bursted. She shook her head.

"Ajax, I am trying to protect you." She whimpered, though she avoided my glare.

I know I shouldn't have yelled at her, I was letting out my anger on the wrong person. Ever since my father left it is as though she is in hell. She hasn't recovered, and probably never will.

I sighed and walked away from her. I couldn't bear to see her like this, to see me like this.

Something in my mind was pulling me towards City Hall. I dashed out of the house.

When I finally arrived, I noticed how dark it was inside. The only source of light was coming from a control room. I slowly walked towards the door, making sure every footstep I made didn't make a sound.

I cracked open the door. "Tomorrow will be Ajax Green." A distinct female voice said. "Be ready."

I knew exactly what she meant. I would vanish tomorrow, there was nothing I could do, nothing I could say to stop them.
"Hey!" Someone shouted. "What are you doing?!" I turned tail and ran as fast as I can back to my house, and slammed the door shut.

I leant against the door, breathing heavily and gasping for air. I had eight hours until I disappeared from the earth.

Be ready, she had said. Be ready for what?

I tossed and turned all night, wondering how they would take me. Questions swirled in my head. I tried to count all of the different ways, but the numbers were infinite.

Things are changing, I thought to myself.

The question is, how? But deep down I already knew. Somewhere in my heart.

_____

Hey guys! First chapter, what do you think? I'm kind of new at this, so wish me good luck!

~ bye sweets. Ky*