Three

I didn't see Jack for a week

At first, it was concerning, but Mars still came around to annoy Nina and hide behind me, so I figured it was just work. I had my own troubles too. The videos from that night still circulated the internet like a bad episode of Real Housewives, and despite my attempts to ignore them, they kept popping up on my For You page on TikTok. I contemplated deleting my accounts, but I had too many followers to do that.

Being dumped after being called crazy and losing your job in the same week isn't something I would recommend to even the nastiest krakens out there. It was a thing of shame, and my manager reminded me of that before he dropped me. The only person who stayed in my employ was my publicist, and that was because he had seen worse days.

He had come to my apartment after Malika rescued me and hauled me to LA before my father could find that I was gone. My father had offered to sue my agency, but I didn't want any of that heat, so I said no.

Malika had suggested taking Fallon Hawkins public, which I did a year ago. It did wonders for my bank account. However, that sort of thing came with a certain type of behavior: posh and uptight. My parents were never like that, and neither were my grandparents, who were all actors.

I, however, was expected to not display human emotions in public, or else I'd face a panel. A panel that would question my ability to hold the highest vote on company matters.

Malika had fought them off, but I needed to show my face at a board meeting sooner or later. I found a suit and hid from the paparazzi before making it to the meeting on time.

"Fallon," Malika said, intercepting me on my way to my seat. "You look well."

"It's the only option I had," I answered.

"Did you get my email?" she asked.

"I know they want me fired," I said.

"So, you've come to plead your case..."

"Fallon?" An oddly familiar voice said, forcing me to look away from Malika, and my guess about its owner was right.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, skipping pleasantries.

"I have a meeting," he answered. "Why are you here?"

"My name's on the door," I answered, and his eyes went wide.

Jack wore a tailored black suit over a white dress shirt and a blue tie. His hair was styled into submission.

He looked better in a suit than in sweatpants or shorts.

"Any day now," one of the board members said, and I snapped out of the trance he put me in.
I took a seat, and so did Malika.

'Nice to finally see you again, Miss Hawkins,' Nico Choi greeted. He ran his family's company but used mine as some sort of side hustle.