Are Field Parties Too Cliche?

To say that Gramps was mad was understatement of the year: he refused to communicate with me in any other way besides than grunts or snorts. I was stuck at home, doing nothing, until they could find another school for me to attend. Frankly, I didn't care where I went, but they didn't want to put me back into public school. Until then, I was doing some bogus online school so I didn't fall behind. I sat on the ancient computer for four hours doing mind numbing work; like it was worse than actually sitting in class listening to a teacher lecture.

      I wasn't suppose to be hanging out with any of my friends- or even going out period- so, I just snuck out. My grandparents went to bed around eight and got up at seven, so I would tiptoe downstairs and out the front door, walking down the block to where everybody waited in the van. We would go find parties a few miles out of town to go to or just hang out at somebody's house. I found out that Ashton, Calum, and Tate had a band called The Great Escape. They said they had decided to start a band freshmen year as they sat in music class on the last day of school. We would go see some of their shows at the local dives and sometimes a town or two over.

Tonight they were playing at a field party. I'm not sure how that would work considering they would need amps for their guitars, but whatever. I put on a light dress, knowing that it would be a little warm tonight, and grabbed some sandals. Putting on makeup in the dark was a bit tricky, but I didn't want to risk my grandparents coming to investigate why my light was on at ten at night. I kind of gave up after I stabbed myself in the eye twice with my eyeliner; I ruffled my hair up a bit, grabbed my purse and went downstairs with my shoes in my hand.

Like always, I got out without a hitch, and slipped my shoes on and ran down the block where the car idled with its headlights off. Right behind was Aaron in his car that had the equipment The door slid open and everyone greeted me as I slid in next to Ashton.

"So where is the party at?" I asked to no one in particular.

"Its twenty miles outside of town at this corn field." Calum answered.

We rode out there listening to loud music, shouting over it when we wanted to talk. Ashton telling corny jokes in my ear, making my sides hurt from laughing so much. We pull up to the field, the land cleared with only discarded ears of corn in the dirt. There was a lit up barn with people walking in and out, almost every hand holding a red plastic cup.

Calum pulled up behind the barn and we all jumped out to help set up their equipment; and by help, me and the girls supervised the boys unloading everything. We helped a little by grabbing the extension cords and going inside the barn to find an outlet. Once we were done, we sat down on a hay bale and talked and people watched.

"Would the pretty ladies like a drink?" A guy in a varsity jacket asked asked. He was kinda cute, but his gelled up hair and cocky smile screamed douche.

"No thanks." Grace answered. The guy looked at the other girls, before looking at me.

"What about you gorgeous?" He asks, taking a step closer to me.

"No thanks," I whispered. I hated being put on the spot.

"One drink won't hurt. What? You got a boyfriend or something?" He sneered, taking another step into my bubble.

"I don't-"

"Yeah she has boyfriend." A voice said behind me. I turned, knowing it wasn't one of the guys. It was a tall, lanky pale dude wearing a Green Day shirt with a black snap back. He was actually kinda cute. He came and sat on the hay with us, and put his arm around my shoulders. "Hi, I'm the boyfriend."

"Whatever Clifford," the douche dude said walking away.

"Mikey!" Grace yelled, jumping up and hugging the boy. The rest of the girls hug him and then introduced me.