Mistaken Identity Chapter 7 / 11

Johnny was being transferred up to the Psych ward they told him.

He was going to be placed on a 72 hour hold, so even if Johnny wanted to leave he couldn't.

That was a good thing, Daniel realised.

It meant he couldn't drown himself in the ocean, jump off a bridge, or kill himself in any of the myriad of ways that was possible in this dangerous world.

It meant he couldn't try again.

"Can I talk to him?" Daniel asked, as they walked down the long corridor.

"I don't think it's a good idea right now," the doctor said.

"But I need to explain why I did this," Daniel said. "He needs to know I didn't do it to hurt him."

"Johnny is still sedated," the doctor said. "And even if he wasn't, until we get him stabilised he isn't going to be in a place to understand that you did the right thing, but he will eventually."

They stopped outside one of the rooms, and through the large window Daniel could see Johnny.

He's been changed out of his dirty bathrobe and into a clean gown. He had a drip attached to his arm, and he looked pale against the white pillows as he slept.

Daniel tried to hold it together.

He wanted to break down crying, but he kept reminding himself that Johnny was safe now.

He was in the best place for him. He was finally going to get the help that he needed.

"What's that you're giving him in the bag?" Daniel asked, his breath hitching.

"It's just a mild sedative," the doctor said. "We'll take him off it tomorrow and see if he's more cooperative."

"He's been through so much," Daniel said quietly.

"We're going to do our best to get him well," the doctor said with a smile.

"How long is he going to be here?" Daniel asked.

"We have him on a 72 hour hold."

"So Thursday, then," Daniel said with a smile. "I'll come back on Thursday and pick him up."

Daniel had work to do.

First on his list was to clean Johnny's apartment from top to bottom.

He began by sweeping up the glass, then poured all the shards onto a trash bag on the dining table.

He put on a thick pair of gloves he found under Johnny's kitchen sink, then spent hours picking out even the tiniest speck of the brown pottery owls that were mixed in with the glass.

He set them all aside in a small dish, then sifted through the glass again, just to make sure he hadn't missed a piece.

With the glass checked twice and finally deposited in the trash can, Daniel looked down at the broken pottery and let out a sigh.

His plan had been to glue all the broken pieces back together, so that while the shakers may not be usable, at least they might be recognisable.

Even looking down at the dish of brown shards Daniel could tell there were pieces missing. It was an impossible 3D jigsaw, with lost parts and huge holes.

There was no way he'd be able to fix them.

Daniel tried to keep himself busy over the next 48 hours, until Johnny could finally come home.