Mistaken Identity Chapter 2 / 11

"If you need me, don't hesitate. Just let me know."

Daniel looked down at the text on his phone.

He'd sent it almost as soon as Johnny had left the dojo. He didn't know why he'd done it. Johnny never answered text messages.

Daniel wanted to call him. He wanted to run to Johnny's apartment and hammer on the door until he answered. He wanted to drag Johnny to the hospital to get the treatment he so obviously needed.

He couldn't do it though.

He had to wait for Johnny to reach out and ask for his help, but he had no idea if he actually would.

Daniel spent the night crying on the floor of his own apartment.

He wanted to drink until it all went away, but he couldn't.

He had to stay sober so he'd be able to drive to Johnny's apartment and take him to the hospital, if he replied to the text message.

Daniel cried himself to sleep, and woke early the next morning with the sun on his face, as it streamed through the unclosed blinds.

He leaned over and grabbed his phone, then opened the text messages.

Johnny could have replied during the night.

Johnny might be waiting for Daniel to reply, wondering why he hadn't answered.

"If you need me, don't hesitate. Just let me know."

There was nothing after the message Daniel had sent. Johnny hadn't replied.

He let his head hit the floor with a thump.

When Daniel finally dragged himself up off the floor and looked in the mirror his eyes looked swollen, as if he'd been punched.

He checked his phone again, then pulled on some old sweat pants and T shirt, and pulled a hoodie over them.

He drove out to the dojo, relieved to find that no one had been inside since the day before, when he ran out without locking the gate.

He slid open the doors, then stepped inside.

The vision of Johnny laid on the wooden floor was burned into his memory.

The look in Johnny's eyes as he begged Daniel to hang up his 911 call would remain seared into his brain for eternity.

He moved into the dojo, then looked down.

Johnny's blood was still on the floor. A brownish red patch, crusted over the varnish.

He hoped it hadn't sunk in and stained the wood. The idea of coming in here and seeing it for the rest of his life made his stomach flip.

Daniel went to the cupboard and found cleaning supplies, then hesitated.

What if Johnny had changed his mind and wanted to go to the police? If Daniel cleaned up the blood would he be destroying evidence?

Daniel took out his phone and opened the camera. He quickly snapped a picture, then put his phone back in his pocket.

He had to do this. He needed the stain gone. Johnny needed the stain gone, if he was ever going to come back to the dojo. The entire place was going to be haunted for Johnny from now, so that last thing he needed was for a stain to set into the wood as a constant reminder of what he went through.

Daniel climbed down to the floor and sprayed the stain.

"Can you come to my place."