3 Not without my plushie

Fandom: Stray Kids
Little: Changbin
Caregivers: Chan, Hyunjin, Jisung

No one’s POV.:

Stray Kids were currently in the process of moving. They’d be living in pairs now, which meant more space for each of them but it also meant new dynamics. For Changbin it’d be the first time being separated from Chan and Jisung since his two fellow 3racha members had become his caregivers and he didn’t know how to feel about it. By now, the entire group knew about his headspace, so Hyunjin was prepared to take care of the rapper when he slipped but Chan was his first caregiver, so it made him nervous.

Changbin liked his new room but he had felt safe in his old room, it was what he was used to. The prospect of a completely new environment left the boy feeling paralyzed. He hadn’t even noticed how he had slipped and now sat between boxes with his stuffed bunny in his hands, anxiously playing with the plushie’s floppy ears. The sounds of his friends moving heavy boxes through the dorm made him feel both guilty and lonely. Guilty because he knew he should get his stuff out too and lonely because he was there all on his own, his caregivers busy with their own stuff to take care of.

“Hyung, are you almost ready?”, Jisung called from down the hallway, as he made his way to Changbin’s room, still panting, “Do you need any help with anything?” The little looked up at him with glossy eyes, which slowly filled with tears. Sitting down on the floor next to him, Jisung cupped his cheek and whispered: “What’s wrong, love?” Changbin only shrugged, sniffling back tears. “Are you sad about leaving?”, the other tried but only got another shrug, “Or worried about your new dorm?” – “I nuh kno”, the little pouted, holding his bunny tighter.

Chan appeared at the door, smile faltering when he found his dongsaengs on the floor, less than excited about the move. “It’s a weird feeling leaving this behind uncertain of what’s to come, hm? I feel the same way, bun”, Jisung comforted, stroking Changbin’s back. Chan plopped down next to them and hummed: “You feeling a bit torn and overwhelmed, Binnie? It’s a bittersweet situation, isn’t it?” The younger nodded with a sad sniffle. “Chu wiww be so faw ‘way”, Changbin whined, slipping the ear of his plushie between his teeth. “Oh baby, we won’t be far”, Chan denied, with a reassuring smile, “All apartments are easy to reach if you need us to come over and you’re always welcome to visit unannounced if you miss us.”

“And you won’t be alone”, Jisung reminded, “You’ll have Hyun-e with you.” – “What about me?”, Hyunjin piped in from the door, frowning at Changbin’s tears. The little looked up at him and mumbled: “Me miss hyungs.” – “Bub, we’re still here”, Chan chuckled, ruffling the boy’s hair. “Am I such bad company?”, Hyunjin pouted, prompting Changbin to vigorously shake his head. Opening his arms for the rapper, Hyunjin smiled: “I know it’s not the same. Sometimes the more people, the better. I’ll try my hardest to take care of you the best I possibly can and the two of us will make sure our new place is all safe and cozy.”

Once Changbin had calmed down, his caregivers helped him carry his boxes to the van and he bid his old room a quiet goodbye before waddling out for the last time. He was anxious as he sat in the van, hands too shaky to buckle his seatbelt. Chan patiently buckled him in and pressed a quick kiss to his temple to soothe him but the boy’s heart remained heavy. Still withdrawn, Changbin played with the bunny’s ears but didn’t dare chew on it, now that they were outside. That didn’t mean he could just pack the plushie away into one of the moving boxes though, no, his bunny needed to stay with him.

Clutching the bunny in one hand and Hyunjin’s hand in the other, Changbin nervously waddled along and his grip subconsciously tightened when the dancer opened the door to their new place. Hyunjin gave him an encouraging smile and hummed: “Should we check out your room? I think your bunny hasn’t seen it yet.” The little nodded, already knowing the way.

Sure, his room was still mostly bare but it wouldn’t be for much longer. His caregivers helped him carry the moving boxes inside and Hyunjin turned on a disney playlist, while they unpacked. Changbin’s bunny sat on the windowsill and watched the little set up his room, the space slowly growing cozier. Maybe it wasn’t so bad, Changbin thought as he lay in his bed, nuzzling his face into his plushie. He was exhausted after the move but happy that he had done it, which he wouldn’t have been able to without his plushie.