Chapter First - The Thieving Magpie

Here we are, the first chapter. You'll notice it yourself in a few seconds; we begin here with a leap into the past. Yes, you'll have to wait a bit to find out what Anna's husband will do to her. I'm sure you won't hold it against me for long, as this way, we dive into the story of Anna and Ivan.

I thought about naming this chapter "The Encounter" but ultimately, I changed my mind. "The Thieving Magpie" pleases me more. You can give me your opinion once you've finished reading.

I've already mentioned this for the prologue, but be careful if you are a minor or feeling fragile at the moment; I advise against continuing your reading.

This first chapter, like the prologue, contains more or less violent passages.

Here is the list of warnings related to this chapter: physical assault, sexual assault, violence, alcohol, drugs, addiction.

If you need help, here are some resources that might be useful:
For domestic violence: https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F12544
For addiction: https://www.jeunes.gouv.fr/drogues-info-service-vos-cotes-7j7-de-8h-2h-418
If you need to talk: https://www.sos-amitie.com/

~

This time, you know, or maybe not, I revealed the surprises associated with this chapter on Instagram. You can go to "Dernierconte," my Instagram account, to make sure you don't miss anything.

Here's what it was about: Anna's canvas bag, reproduced by Karine Bonacina, a talented craftswoman who offers her creations on her Vinted "karinebonacina."

You can find Anna's bag by going to her wardrobe and searching for "Anna's bag." You'll notice after your reading, Karine has done a remarkable job. Her creation faithfully respects the text.

I also mentioned another object, but in the end,

I got a bit ahead of myself, as it does not appear in the first chapter.

Same for the flowery street and its bouquet of flowers; it was a bit early. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I invite you to go to Instagram, otherwise don't worry, you'll discover what I mean here in the next chapter.

As for the playlist, here are four new tracks that accompanied me during the writing of this first chapter.

Buon giorno principessa by Nicola Piovani - For the love of a Princess by James Horner, performed by The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra - Die junge Kaiserin by Anton Profes, performed by the Synchron Stage Orchestra - Mazurka No.41 in C-Sharp Minor, Op.63, No.3 by Chopin, performed by David Fray.

You can also find this selection and that of the prologue by going directly to Spotify and searching for the playlist "Dernierconte." Here is the direct link to it: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4qNUt00hDE9cGmCVna1lGX?si=W9S-I5uZTDaA7lM2okRisQ&pi=e-9KPejFG_SZqz

~

Chapter First

The Thieving Magpie

Anna had rushed out of the apartment around eight in the morning.

The poor girl hadn't even had time to do her hair properly. "Oh well," she sighed, gently closing the door. "They're fine like this too, I suppose..."

"No one will notice, my dear," she added half aloud, to herself, smoothing the fabric of her old dress with both hands on the landing. She had been talking to herself for a long time; asking questions and giving answers as well. Poor little thing, she had been alone so often; not in fact, but in spirit.