Chapter Seven: Revelations and Questions

I took a deep breath and began to explain. "Emily, My parents have a condition. They are centuries old, they can feed on blood and they can't die of natural causes and I've inherited their...condition. I'm their son after all."
"You mean you're a vampire?"
"Well, yeah..."

Emily's eyes widened in disbelief. "What? No way! You're just messing with me, right?"

I smiled, and my fangs descended. Emily's eyes went wide, and she took a step back.

"Ah, I see you're a skeptic," I said, chuckling. "But I assure you, I'm quite serious. And no, I won't suck your blood. That's baby food. I've moved on to more...sophisticated sustenance."

Emily looked relieved but still scared. "W-what do you mean?"

"I mean, I don't drink human blood anymore. It's...beneath me," I said with a smirk. "I've evolved, shall we say. I have refined tastes now."

Emily's curiosity got the better of her. "So, can you fly? Turn into a bat?"

I laughed. "No, I can't fly. And no, I can't turn into a bat. Only ancient vampires can do that. I'm still a newbie."

"Newbie?" Emily repeated, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, compared to my parents, I'm still a youngling," I explained. "They're like the vampire equivalent of grandparents. Wise, powerful, and a bit...old-fashioned."

"Immortal?" Emily asked, her eyes wide with wonder.

"Technically, yes. But I can still die if you stake me through the heart or set me on fire," I said matter-of-factly. "Or if I get a severe case of boredom. That's a real killer."

Emily giggled, and I smiled, relieved that the tension was broken.
"I have to start going now though." Emily said. "My dad would be worried. It's late."
"It's cool, I understand." I took my jacket from the wardrobe and put it on before showing her to the door.

As I walked her home, Emily asked more questions, each one more ridiculous than the last. "Can you sparkle in the sunlight?" "Do you have super strength?" "Can you read minds?"

I answered patiently, enjoying her enthusiasm.

When we reached her doorstep, Emily turned to me with a serious expression. "Ethan, can I ask you something?"

"Of course," I replied.

"What's it like being a vampire?" she asked, her eyes searching mine.

I leaned against the wall, folding my arms. "It's...complicated. There are pros and cons, like with anything. But I suppose it's worth it in the end."

"Worth it?" Emily repeated. "What do you mean?"

I sighed, looking up at the sky. "I mean, immortality has its perks. I can do the most dangerous stunts without worrying but it also have its disadvantages. Having to move from place to place to avoid detection...it takes a toll. We can't stay in a place for too long because people will notice that we haven't aged one bit since they knew us."
"So you're going to remain like this for life?"
"Not quite. All vampires stop aging at a particular age." I explained. "All vampires don't stop aging at the same age. Some stop aging early while others stop aging late. It's one of the two."
"Looking this good for all eternity can't really be that bad though. What about your parents? They're vampires too, right?"

I nodded. "Yes, they are. And they're...unique, to say the least. My mother is a bit of a free spirit, always chasing her dreams and desires. My father, on the other hand, is more...serious. He's a bit of a traditionalist, always adhering to the old ways."

"That sounds...interesting," Emily said, her eyes sparkling with curiosity.

I laughed. "It certainly is. But hey, being a vampire isn't all bad. I get to experience things most humans can only dream of."

"Like what?" Emily asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

I grinned mischievously. "Like the thrill of the hunt, the rush of adrenaline when I'm facing danger...and the pleasure of immortality, of course."

Emily's eyes widened, and I could sense her excitement. "I can imagine," she said, her voice full of wonder.

I pushed off the wall, standing up straight. "Well, I should probably get going. It's getting late."

Emily nodded, looking disappointed. "Yeah, I guess you're right."

I smiled, offering her a reassuring smile. "Don't worry, Emily. I'll be around. And who knows? Maybe one day you'll join me in the ranks of the undead."

Emily laughed, playfully rolling her eyes. "I think I'll pass, thanks."
"Before I go. Can I ask you a question?"
"Yeah sure anything."
"The monster chasing us, wasn't chasing me. It was chasing me." I started. "Do you have any idea why that happened?"
"N...no. I guess it went for the weaker prey."
"Ok I guess I'll see you tomorrow." I smiled, waving goodbye as I walked away. I still had my suspicions but decided not to ask her anymore. She didn't want to tell me what was going on so I'm just going to have to find out myself.

As I proceeded to walk back home, the image of the creature that attacked us flashed in my memory. Now that I'm thinking clearly, I noticed that the creature looked familiar. Like I've seen it somewhere before but I'm pretty sure if I saw something like that, I would remember.
That's it! That dream. I saw it in that dream I had some days ago. This one didn't have wings but it had the same aura, the same energy, the same origin. I could feel it, even in the dream state and the creature that attacked me, that attacked Emily emanated an identical energy. I have to find out how all of this is connected. Was that dream a warning? Was it trying to tell me something? What would a supernatural creature even want with a human?
I'm getting more questions then answers here. Maybe Dad would be able to give me some answers.
Where is Dad by the way?