Nico Takes an Ancestry Test

Nico has only a moment to shut his eyes before Thanatos pulls them both into the darkness. Night walking, the Nyx-created, more energy efficient form of shadow travelling, is much... darker. Instead of transporting through shadow, Thanatos takes them through Night herself. 

The glow-in-the-dark bracelet around Nico's right wrist is meant to ward off the pitch blackness that presses in from every direction while shadow travelling—with his eyes closed, Nico can pretend it works for night walking as well. The purposeful darkness of shutting one's eyes is much more preferable to having all light stripped away at the whims of another, after all.

When they arrive, Thanatos generously gives Nico a few moments to press his head against a brick wall and try not to throw up as the taste of pomegranate resurfaces.

Eventually, Thanatos leads him out of the alley and the two of them come out into a bright, loud street. Stores line each side, windows full of magic and strange creatures. Wizards bustle down the road, chattering to themselves and levitating their purchases along as their screaming children run between their legs. It's enough to give Nico a headache. Luckily he's used to those by now and is easily able to ignore the pressure behind his temples.

"We'll be going to Gringotts first," Thanatos says, gesturing to a large marble building at the end of the street, "to exchange some gold for wizarding money."

"Got it." Nico acknowledges, squaring his shoulders. He and Thanatos begin to make their way towards Gringotts, dodging wizards and children. Two dwarves are stationed at the doors, each decked in armor and holding iron weapons. He bows his head to them as he and Thanatos pass, and the dwarves glance at each other.

The inside of Gringotts is a long room, just as large and gilded as the outside is, made of gold-streaked marble with gold embellishments. On either side of the large hall is a line of desks, each with a dwarf teller dealing with customers. At the very end of the hall is a tall podium from where another dwarf is glaring down at the wizards. 

As they walk deeper into the room, Nico thinks that Pluto would appreciate the way the tall ceilings of Gringotts lets the sound of chiming gold echo throughout the main room.

Thanatos guides him to a teller's line that is much shorter than the others and they wait a few minutes until the older lady with a vulture hat is done with her transaction. She leaves without even a word of thanks to her teller, which has Nico arching an eyebrow in judgement. He steps forward when Thanatos nudges him.

"Name?" The ginger-bearded dwarf asks without looking up from their parchment. 

"Nico di Angelo. I wanted to exchange some gold for wizarding money." Nico explains. He is already reaching into the inner pocket of his jacket to retrieve some of Hazel's metals from the void inside when the dwarf's eyes snap up to meet his own, quill stilling.

"Nico di Angelo, you say?" They ask, studying him. Nico glances over his shoulder to give Thanatos a confused glance. Thanatos returns his gaze, then looks back at the dwarf, eyes appraising behind his sunglasses. It's slightly comforting to know that Thanatos also has no clue what this could mean. Slightly.

"Yes?"

The teller scowls and ducks underneath their desk—rising with a parchment and an ornate silver dagger. They place both on the desk with a fair amount of force. 

"Seven drops of blood." They say. Nico blinks, twisting the skull ring on one of his fingers. He does not pick up the knife.

"And why do I need to do this?" He asks instead, eyeing the teller. "I'm not really in the habit of giving out blood."

"It is simply an identity test." The teller informs him sharply, scowl deepening. They push the dagger closer and when no warnings come from Thanatos, he picks it up.