Chapter Fifteen-Araba

For the rest of the day, we sat in the living room, laughing and chatting about our high school memories, especially our new version of Would You Rather. The heated tension between Hughes and I didn't stop though. He kept on rubbing my feet. Only this time, I was doing most of the caressing. I'd never felt more aroused in my whole life. It was exciting being pursued by someone you were interested in.

Emma noticed the activity that went on below the table so she asked Ten to join her in the kitchen to help Anna make dinner.

Now we were here, shoulders touching each other and staring into the blank television. A second can of Ginger Ale swung sideways in his left hand. The sofa crinkled with the way he shook his knee. My phone beeped, alerting me of an incoming phone call from the person I did not want to think about. I rejected Ama's call and focused on the moment.

"I can't believe Emma let us have our own space to talk," I said to break the silence.

"I know right," Hughes replied. "I couldn't control myself around you. You know I just had to give you the foot massage. You ever heard that R. Kelly song? My mind was telling me 'Noo' but my body was telling me 'yes'? That's how I felt back in the kitchen. The angel and the devil on my shoulders wouldn't leave me alone. The angel told me, 'Noo', and the devil said, 'Don't knock it till you try it, kid.' I had to listen to the devil."

I burst into a chuckle, and when I turned to gaze at Hughes, I couldn't stop smiling. Because that's the effect he had on me. His smile would make anyone smile alone. "You and Emma are the most interesting and funniest people I know. And Murphy Grey's funny too."

He took a sip of Ginger Ale. "I hope you enjoyed the massage."

I giggled. "Yes, sir. I sure did." I loved his hands. I loved looking at them a lot. They were smooth too, with big skinny fingers but a huge palm. Revealing my feelings and attraction to him would be such a relief but I didn't think it would be an easy task. Hughes and I had been friends for the whole of high school. I was sure he, too, never expected this day to come. We finally had a full night to ourselves where we could just talk about the physical attractions we had for each other. After tonight, would we still be mutual friends or a straight-up couple? I had no idea.

"I know right," Hughes said, and I gazed into his lake-blue eyes. His smile crinkled his left eye. "It's weird talking about this. We've gone from debating about who the best singer and rapper is to talking about feelings or having crushes on each other. Time flies, man."

"Yeah, it does." I blew out a breath. Hughes rubbed the back of his neck and sipped more Ginger Ale. He closed his eyes as though praying for spiritual strength to ask me out. "I'll go first. When did you first start having feelings for me?"

"Wow. Bold." I tilted my head, reflecting on all the memories I had of younger, high school Hughes. "It started during the final year of high school. As I was getting to know you a lot more, the more I realized how funny and cute you are. To be honest, I found you obnoxious the first time Emma and I met you trying to kiss that Albino girl in the library."

"Oh, creepy Tamar. I remember. It was a dare. Well, it's true. I was a big doofus."

I rolled my gaze over a portrait of Emma as homecoming queen, with me standing next to her. It was a beautiful memory I would cherish forever. It would be one of the things I'd remind her of when we're both in our fifties, having get-togethers with our husbands and children. Having a get-together with my husband, Hughes.

Whoa! Too soon. I shook my head to clear the thought.

"Why you shaking your head? This making you epileptic?"

I chuckled. "No. Now it's your turn. When did yours start?"

He smiled at me, but I couldn't stop glaring at Emma's homecoming portrait. "My feelings?" Hughes asked. I nodded.