Chapter 7: A Room With A View

It's been a week since Ronan helped me pick out a book for my book review assignment

Our nights went on like this: I would usually go home right after class, take a shower, a change of clothes, and some snacks in my school bag. Then I would enter the library near closing hours and wait until everyone else was out of the building and the lights were turned off before the Library Ghost would meet me at the study lounge. 

Tonight isn't any different, from the corner of my eye I saw a white figure appear peaking from behind a bookshelf.

It's ironic how other people would probably run away or scream for help right now if they saw this apparition. But here I am, walking towards Ronan with my backpack in tow, glancing over my shoulder every few seconds just to make sure the security guard isn't roaming around the place.

"Can I ask something?"

While we were walking back to his little kingdom, curiosity suddenly got hold of me. Ronan, who offered to carry my bag for me like he always does, tilted his head in my direction. I can see a glimpse of his eyes under the blanket, the dimly lit surroundings making it hard to see the earthly color I've grown accustomed to.

"You can ask me anything, Ebony."

I took in a deep breath. Okay, here it goes...

"I just wonder if you stay here during the daytime too? I mean, surely you have a home and a family waiting for you, right?"

For a moment, I was worried Ronan would get offended. I mean, I always feel like I'm walking on eggshells whenever I ask something personal. My boyfriend---ex-boyfriend---Anthony would always get pissed whenever I pry too much or ask about the things I "shouldn't be concerned about". While waiting for Ronan's response, I found my hand trembling with nerves. I immediately avoided eye contact. I've seen something like this play out before to know it isn't gonna end well on my part.

God, this is a bad idea, isn't it? He's gonna get angry and yell at me and we'll never finish that book review...

At that very moment, my heart rate spiked, beating inside my chest as if it wanted to escape its cage. I staggered back, the pounding inside my ears suddenly made it hard to focus on anything else. Before I know it, my chest squeezes tight and I suddenly feel lightheaded. The floor morphed into an unsteady plane beneath my feet. An overwhelming sense of dread was taking over me, making me feel like I was in terrible danger even when my mind kept telling me there was nothing to worry about.

"I do have a home."

I heard Ronan answer, but I was too preoccupied with my current state to digest the words.

"I guess you can say that I just like my overnight stays at the library and... Ebony? Is something wrong?"

"H-Huh? No... I---"

Ronan silently observed me for a moment. When his gaze landed on my trembling hands, I could see his eyes widen for a fraction. The gears inside his head were figuring out what was happening.