Desolated

"Thank you," I said to the taxi driver as I got out of the car.

I glanced at Tom's mansion as the car drove away, it had a golden gate concealing the property and small hedges outlining the neatly kept path. To be honest, his house looked more like a cathedral or something... tall, arched windows framed the brick walls that were slightly covered in overgrown moss, but I could see dark red drapes covering the inside of the building very slightly.

I climbed up the hedge and onto the gate, feeling a rush of adrenaline as I realized how high I was. The height made me a bit nervous, but luckily there was a tree next to me that seemed like it could offer some support. I decided to lean forward and reach for a low-hanging branch but my fingers just barely missed it, and I lost my balance, plummeting down and landing on the ground with a thud. I felt the ligaments in my ankle tear and I covered my mouth and squealed in pain. I couldn't afford the risk of making any noise...

I got up struggling, trying to be silent, although quiet whimpers spilled out of my mouth. I walked up to his car parked near the fountain and I got on my knees and stuck the bug at the bottom of it. I put the earbud in it, gently tapping the bug testing the audio.

"Oh my god Tom!! Your car looks so expensive!!" I heard a girl say as I quickly hid behind the bushes. She had a pretty face, but her makeup was so cakey, like plaster was smothered on her face.

"No shit. I didn't pay 3 million dollars to get a fucking volkswagen did I?" Tom replied rolling his eyes mumbling, "dumb bitch.."

"Tom my feet hurt, could you carry me to the car?? Pleaseeee!!!" The girl squealed as Tom groaned in annoyance.

"You're not disabled. WALK." he snapped, "I hope you know I'm only taking you to this goddam restaurant is so I can fuck you after, that's it."

They both got into the car and the engine rumbles as they drove out of the gate. Jesus that was close.. who was that girl??

I snapped out of my thoughts and walk up to the front door, trying to remember how to open locked doors. I got a bobby pin out of my bag and stuck it in the key hole, carefully adjusting the pin inside trying to trigger the lock. Nothing. Why did I even try that?? That shit only worked in films... I brought my face closer to the lock, inspecting the mechanism. I stuck my long acrylic nail inside trying to see the shape of the lock inside but-

Click.

My eyes widened in disbelief as the door slowly opened to the interior of his home and a grand oak staircase with a dark green carpet laced on top of it. Seriously?! That worked?! I hesitantly walked inside, shutting the door behind me. It looked like a palace royalty would live in, everything was so intricate. The oak wood floor shaped in a zig-zag pattern, the golden chandeliers, the mahogany fireplace with- wait was that his dad? I walked up to the fireplace staring at the painting, my skin slightly reflecting the warmth of the fire. He was glaring right at me.. he had that same stare Tom did. Babies are born, people die, but no one just disappears off the face of the Earth.. right?? I thought about Tom again, it was bad enough loosing your father, but knowing he could still be alive?? With no way to reach him, no information about him... not to mention his mother...

I walked up the stairs, admiring the various pieces of art framed on the wall next to me as my black, kitten heels tapped rhythmically on the wooden steps below. As I slowly opened a heavy, ornate door at the top of the staircase, I was greeted with a huge library, stretching out before me. The room was filled with towering bookshelves, each packed with countless volumes of literature and history. The air was rich with the scent of aged paper and leather bindings, making me slightly overwhelmed. There had to be some dirt on him in here...