MEANT OR COINCIDENCE?

The mela was bustling with excited crowds. People were amazed at the new rides that had replaced the usual shops. It always drew a big crowd, and to be honest, this week saw more profit than ever before.

My friends and I went on different rides, proudly displaying our desi outfits, perfect for the festival. I loved the atmosphere, but the crowd noise and constant pushing were irritating. The noisiest place was the merry-go-round. I couldn't understand why people who were scared would sit on it. Who were they trying to impress? The Haryanvi girls were already tough, matching the men in strength. Impressing them seemed like a bad idea.

Then one of my friends said he wanted to try the merry-go-round. Everyone was terrified inside I could see it on their faces. But to save their male pride, they agreed to join me.

We bought our tickets and stood in line. The male and female lines were separate, though I wished they were combined. I hoped to get bumped by a beautiful woman.

My friends took their seats, but as I was about to sit, the worker stopped me, saying there was a chance of falling. I had to sit in the next car. I agreed, a bit sad to be separated from my gang. I waited for the next passenger to sit next to me. In front of me, there was a couple already seated. The worker came and said, "Sorry for the inconvenience, but would it be okay if a lady sat next to you? We forgot her in the previous ride. Can you adjust?"

I was thrilled but kept my excitement hidden. I said, "Yeah, let her sit. I'll treat her like my own sister. No worries. Go and call her."

He replied, "Thanks, bhai."

I pretended to scroll through my phone, trying not to show my excitement. Then I saw her: a girl in a pink kurti who I assumed had been singing. "Damn, how much better can this day get?" I thought to myself.

She came and sat next to me. I was about to scream, but my male ego stopped me. I started the conversation, "I assume your name is Arunima, am I right?"

She looked shocked but replied, "Yup. How did you know?"

I said, "You can leave that part out, but were you the one singing 'Galliyan'? And you have such a great name. As a Sanskrit student, I guess your name means 'glow of the dawn.' Am I right again? Aru-Nima."

She replied, "I have to admit, you're quite the charmer. You should teach me sometime so I can use it on you."

I said, "My pleasure, lady. By the way, I'm Sambit. And don't judge me—I respect women a lot. I just wanted to appreciate your voice and maybe your looks too, if you don't mind."

She responded, "I would mind, though."

Suddenly, the merry-go-round started, and she looked the other way while I admired her earrings. "She's cute and daring. This time, I'm not letting her slip away," I thought to myself, enjoying the cool breeze carried by the Ferris wheel.

 This time, I'm not letting her slip away," I thought to myself, enjoying the cool breeze carried by the Ferris wheel