18

Ali's POV.

When I wake up again, I am in the hospital. The air smells of disinfectant, and I am lying in white bedding, feeling pain in every inch of my muscles, skin, and bones.

Especially my right hand. I used to it shield Lincoln's eyes, and then the tree branch pierced my palm. it is wrapped in white gauze now.

This is a suite, and the bedroom door is ajar. Someone is talking softly in the living room.

"Doctor, will her finger dexterity be affected? She's a design student," says Lincoln's voice.

"It depends on fate. If the patient actively cooperates with treatment and rehabilitation, a miracle might happen."

"Do you know the best rehabilitation therapists in the industry? I have plenty of money; as long as they are willing to come, I can pay any amount."

"I'll try to contact them for you."

"Thank you."

After the doctor leaves, the door opens, and I instinctively close my eyes.

Lincoln comes over and sits beside my bed. My forehead feels a bit warm; it's Lincoln's breath on it.

Just before he gets closer and kisses me, I suddenly open my eyes.

"You're awake?" He smiles in surprise. "How do you feel? The doctor said if you are really uncomfortable, he can prescribe painkillers for you."

I stay silent, not speaking. I can't remember when I last saw Lincoln. Seeing him beside me now, I feel a sense of dreamlike confusion.

"Where have you been?" I ask after a long time, my voice choked with emotion.

"I thought—" I thought he didn't want me anymore.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," Lincoln apologizes repeatedly. "I didn't protect you well."

The shattered glass lamp, the bloodstains on the carpet, and the cold gun pressed against my forehead all rush back into my mind.

I didn't feel scared at the time, but after Lincoln appeared, I became terrified.

Lincoln gently kisses away my tears, his forehead against mine. "I'm sorry, Ali. I'm sorry. I left briefly to arrange a kidney donation for your mother. I've been doing this all along but didn't tell you. I didn't want to give you hope only to disappoint you. But when I came back, that bastard Mateo—"

"Wait." I open my eyes wide, swallowing and catching the key point in his long speech. "Are you saying my mother has a chance for a kidney transplant?"

Instinctively, I reach out to grab Lincoln's sleeve, the pain making me gasp. I forget that my right hand is still wrapped in gauze.

Lincoln quickly stands up and presses the emergency call button.

Medical staff rush in, followed by Lincoln's doctor friend, who treated me when I had a fever.

While the medical staff reapply medicine and bandages, Lincoln's doctor friend scolds him, "You injured all the soft tissues in your body from saving her. Can't you go for therapy instead of wandering around? Besides, you being here only hinders your sister-in-law's recovery. You really can't help with anything."

The medical staff exchange gossiping looks between me and Lincoln.

Lincoln turns and mutters a curse at his friend, then says, "She's not my sister-in-law. She's my wife."

Then he turns to me and says, "Ali, I love you."

Later, as I am browsing my phone in the ward, I see the Daniels family name on a gossip site.