34

Today, the six friends had done nothing but stay inside to watch movies and play video games. After their exploration of Boston the day before, everyone had been exhausted so they felt like they all deserved the rest; they also had to remind themselves that this was their Christmas holiday first and foremost. Therefore, in the middle of watching Disney movies so dear to all of them, they were taking TV breaks during which they would play. Lily had been glad to bring her laptop because that meant she and Alex could use it, seeing as Lily had several games already downloaded. For instance, Fortnite was never leaving the device and it proved useful as of course, the triplets wanted to play. However, contrary to how it usually turned out, neither Matt nor Lily wanted to at the moment. This is why Lily then lent her laptop to her friends so that they could take turns along with the computer already installed in Chris’s bedroom, where the triplets had been used to play and stream. And while Nick, Chris, Nate, and Alex were playing Fortnite, Matt and Lily decided to go back to the living-room to watch something else. The TV was still open on Disney+ and Matt let Lily scroll through the application to put on something.

“Do you mind if we start a TV show instead of just a movie?” Lily asked. She waited for Matt to look at what she was suggesting before she kept going. “I’ve been meaning to start this one with Alex because we like the cast, but she told me she wouldn’t bear the chirurgical and medical parts so like half the plot.”

“Who are the actors that you like?” Matt questioned, as he wondered if it were the two main characters or a random secondary one that would only have five minutes of screentime, as he knew that Lily was capable of watching a whole TV show just for those precious minutes – Sebastian Stan in Gossip Girl, he remembered it all too well as Lily had once talked to him about her disappointment.

“Literally the main ones, for once. So it’s like Thomas from The Maze Runner – well he plays Newt and another actor actually plays a character named Thomas so let’s get confused. I don’t know if you watched them but like one of my favourite movies for sure! And also Maia, she’s a former Disney Channel actress and…”

While Lily kept rambling about what she loved about those two actors, Matt didn’t even try once to interrupt her and simply nodded whenever she would look at him. He knew of the first actor but had never heard of the second one, so he made a mental note to one day check out Teen Beach Movie that Lily was now talking about. Before she went on a tangent about Ross Lynch, Laura Marano, and the rest of the cast of Austin & Ally, Lily stopped herself and asked again if Matt was willing to watch The Artful Dodger with her, which he gladly accepted.

Eventually, the pair had watched three episodes before Mary Lou appeared in the doorway, asking where the others were as she was going to make dinner. Matt told his mother about the arrangements – his brothers, Nate, and Alex were still engrossed in video games while he and Lily were close to binge watching the entire series. Mary Lou announced that she would be making dinner soon and immediately, Lily offered to help.

“No need, darling.” Mary Lou would rather have her son enjoy his quality time with his friend. “I can manage alone.”

“No way,” Lily refused. “You’re feeding a whole army, the least I can do is participate. You’ve welcomed us in your home, I want to repay the favour.”

“Very well then”, she reluctantly accepted.

“You don’t mind that Matt, right?” Lily seemed to remember her friend, and hoped he wouldn’t hold it against her that she’d leave him for his mother. “I know I was the one who wanted to watch this show but we can continue later and–”

“It’s fine, Lily.” Never in a million years would Matt have an issue with his friend being willing to support his mother and help around. This was something he appreciated about Lily: she was always there if someone needed – even if they didn’t openly ask – and she would never look unhappy about it. Her selflessness was admired by Matt, who smiled at how kind Lily was. “We’ll watch the rest later, don’t worry. I’ll even help you two if that’s okay.”