35

“Are you really confident about your skills?” A voice asked, competition heard in her tone.

“You’re talking to a former hockey player!” Another voice retorted. “Because I haven’t been in a team for years doesn’t mean that I’m suddenly gonna forget everything I know.”

“Can we just–” Someone tried to add but was interrupted.

“I can beat you!”

“Sure you can,” sarcasm laced the voice.

“You’re gonna regret the day you were–”

Although internally laughing at their banter, Lily was starting to feel embarrassed that Chris and Alex were making a lot of noise in the ice ring. See, the group had chosen to go ice skating as Lily and Alex normally would go in Montréal, but didn’t have the chance to do so as they were now in Boston. So, after a good day's rest that had been preceded by their shopping trip to the mall, everyone had been excited to go to the ice ring.

Now back to the present, Lily had therefore cut her best friend off by putting her hand on her mouth, which proved effective. Exchanging a glance with Alex before she nodded, Lily slowly removed her hand after being sure that her friend would calm down.

“Chris, I believe you will be on your best behaviour as well?” Lily asked with an innocent smile. “I’m all for sporting spirits, but please be normal about it.”

“Yeah…” He knew what Lily was capable of and didn't want to provoke her.

“Great,” Lily exclaimed as she clapped her hands. “Now let’s start again this whole thing with more inside energy.”

Not very far away, Nick, Matt and Nate were laughing together about the situation in front of them before approaching the other trio.

“You’re like their mum,” Matt commented. “Insane how you almost do as good a job as ours.”

“Then you can be the dad!” Alex called from further away as she was skating to an imaginary starting line, ready to race Chris.

“Anyways– hmm I guess I’m just used to it.” Lily thought for a second as she watched her best friend trying to bicker once again with Chris. “Must be the sibling dynamic, like you and your brothers. Sometimes you’re the more mature one and other times–”

“Pretty rare if you ask me”, Matt commented.

“It happens though”, Lily claims back with a raised eyebrow to which Matt shrugs. “And yeah, other times it’s Alex who’s being the better person.”

“Definitely not today for sure”, Nate chimed in with a small chuckle.

After all agreeing, they joined Chris and Alex who were waiting for someone to start their race. Lily gave them another warning to not be too reckless before letting them begin their laps. God knows how many they plan on doing but Lily’s job was done according to her.

So while Alex and Chris were racing – fortunately, they had rented the place for the day so that they wouldn’t have other people in the ice rink, Matt and Nate wanted to play a bit of hockey so they were getting some material. Lily and Nick helped them gather everything before they were asked to play with them.

“Don’t you want the other two to play instead of us?” Lily wondered.

“I support this”, Nick agreed as he wasn’t fully down to play hockey today. “We can play cheerleaders or some shit.”

“Imma veto that”, Lily said.

“What do you even do at the ice rink?” Nate asked. “No racing and no hockey; you just skate around in circles?”