1

My eyes fluttered open from a sleepy daze. I take in my surroundings, looking around drowsily, only to see I'm surrounded on all sides by a shimmering, white...veil? No, no, that can't possibly be right. I reach forward, ever so slightly my fingertips grace the tip of what feels like a sleek feather. So I'm surrounded by...wings? The moment I come to the realization the wings unfurl around me and disappear, leaving me in a room of solemn, pitch blackness. Eventually, I become aware of the repetitive dripping noise on the floor in front of me. Where's that coming from? I reach out and feel for the source of the sound. I find it within seconds. It's warm, and sticky. I slowly start to reach up to find out where the drops of liquid are coming from. I frown as I find that my hand had found its way to my stomach. It doesn't take long for me to figure it out though. The drips. Were coming from me. "Blood." I whisper to myself as I fall to the cold stone floor.

~~~  

I bolt up into a sitting position on my bed. 'No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, NO!' I scream inside my head as I gasp for breath in the cold air of my room. I claw at the sheets around me, managing to notice that I'm currently sitting in a pool of my own sweat.

'Why do I keep having dreams like that? Ever since we moved to this godawful city they've only been getting worse and worse!'

After calming down for who knows how long I reach around under my pillow for my phone, finding it with ease. The screen immediately lights up and at the same moment I hear the soft thump of my phone charger hitting the carpeted floor.

Midnight. Wow, I actually slept for a few hours. A new record if I do say so myself. I try and chuckle at the thought but all I can manage is a nervous shudder.

Slipping out of bed, I quietly shuffle into the bathroom. Which, luckily, is right across the hall from my room. I push the door shut as quietly as I can and flip on the light. The suddenly illuminated bathroom causes me to cringe, having been in darkness for so long. I move over to the sink and stare at myself for a bit; my tired looking eyes stare back. My messy brown hair contrasting with the bleak paleness of my skin. To sum it up, I basically looked like I'd, well, had a nightmare.

'Yeah, an unnaturally real feeling one.' I let out a long, heaving sigh as if it could solve all of my problems. Pfft, yeah right.

I decide I'll do some reading until my mom comes to "wake me up". "I'm gonna be so tired for my first day of school..." I grumble to myself as I make my way back to my room.