Chapter 17. It's here! Nationals!

Hi everyone! Sorry this chapter will be a shorter one than you're used to! Next one will be longer I promise, but start of the new semester has me drowned in work🫠

"To all fans of high school soccer, this day has finally come! Here and now, the Football Frontier stadium is already roaring with excitement over the anticipation of never-before-seen combat! The Football Frontier begins!"

The day had come, Nationals were here and I was actually a part of it. One month ago I had never thought I would play soccer here with Raimon, but there I was. One bet and an amazing first match against Teikoku Gakuen later, and I stood next to Shuuya and Endou taking on the rest of the country.

Sixteen teams had the chance to call themselves the best of Japan, fourteen winners of regionals, one team of recommendation, which was yet to be announced, and at last the winner of last year, which was Teikoku. I was glad that Yuuto and his team got a second chance after they lost against us, but it was even more fun to know that we wouldn't be able to play against them until we both got into the finals. It was a fact that hyped up our captain way too much. Endou was sure we would get through all the stages until it was time to get gold.

Outside you could hear the music, fireworks and the commentator announcing all of the teams that had qualified. We were third-to-last, right before Teikoku and the team of recommendation, so we had little time left to spare for Endou to give us one last peptalk.

"It's finally here! We went through a lot before we reached this day, but now that we're here... let's show them everything we've got!" Everyone cheered along and our captain's attention went to Kabeyama. "Kabeyama, no need to go to the toilet, right?"

My gaze went to Kazemaru, who was going to be standing next to me in the line up later. "How you doing, Kazemaru-kun?" After what Shuuya said last night, I was less worried about him going back to the Athletic's club, but he still hadn't said anything.

He smiled at me, but it didn't completely reach his eyes. "I'm excited, so glad that we're finally here." I just smiled back, not showing my concern over him and I locked eyes with the platinum haired boy behind him who nodded.

"Yeah me too."

"And next, representing the Kanto block is... Raimon Jr High!"

It was our cue to assemble and walk over to the entrance of the soccer field and I took place behind Shuuya, who stood at front with Endou. To get his attention before we started walking, I pinched between his shoulder blades. "You ready, Gouenji?"

"You bet I am, Nishi." He rolled his shoulders and gave me a slight grin, which I returned.

We entered the stadium and even though the music got even louder, the clapping and cheering of the sold-out stadium drowned the sound completely as the commentator went on.

"Raimon Jr High is the fearsome team that beat Teikoku in the district preliminaries! Everyone is watching them in high hopes of being the legendary Inazuma Eleven Reborn!"

After we took our spots, Teikoku followed and I couldn't hide my proud grin of seeing my best friend taking his team over the field. "What's more, the champion school of last year, Teikoku Gakuen makes a second appearance! Despite losing to Raimon Jr High in the district prelim match that unfolded for the Kanto block, the prestigious Teikoku has the special admission as previous winner to continue into the championship."

The team stopped next to us and as Endou and Kidou talked to each other, their keeper Genda and I locked eyes, shooting eachother happy grins. Yuuto brought him along once when we met up a few days ago and he was incredibly nice.