Chapter 30

A piece of the past...

"You have to think hard about this, Danica," Troy said.

"I already did and this is my final decision. Stop looking at me like that. It's not like you. You should be happy the fun-spoiler is going away."

He shook his head, his expression incredulous yet patient at the same time. "I can't let you go like this. Just stay a few more months and try to think more about it."

"Troy, just accept my decision like Jackie and George did."

"Danica, I have more reasons why I can't let you go."

She frowned and her heart started to race. She did not dare ask why. He leaned over to peer at her with a serious look on his face. She tried to look away but his eyes locked hers in a strong and intense gaze.

"I love you. Not just as a friend. I've loved you for a long time and I've been meaning to tell you and it has been making me crazy. And if there is any part in you that considers the same level of affection, don't go. We have to give it a shot. I am ready to give it a shot, Danica."

Dannie's heart leaped at his confession. Was she glad to know that he loved her? Yes, she was. But it wasn't supposed to be this way. Her feelings for him had blossomed over the years and she had been trying to put a leash on it because there were things in her life that she didn't want him to be a part of. He was too good for her and he deserved more. She barely had enough left for herself.

"Troy, let's not make things complicated, please," she begged.

He looked frustrated as he paced around the living room. They were left alone by their friends to talk. "Danica, I just told you I love you. And all you have to say is 'let's not make things complicated'?"

A tear fell from her eyes as she shook her head. "I can't accept you or your feelings for me."

"Why? Because we're friends and it will make things complicated?"

"No. Because we don't deserve each other."

PRESENT DAY

I felt like I was in a freaking movie that afternoon.

Dannie zoomed me into BREDCO port as if she was Georgie and screeched to a stop when she spotted Troy and some of his men huddled in a group. She climbed off me in a hurry. The air from the sea was strong and it blew her long hair to the side. The sun was blasting as well before it would soon disappear behind the horizon. Dannie baby squinted against the light.

And she started walking away to where Troy was.

Wait. Wait. Wait. I am going to miss it? What the freaking Volks! I am going to miss it?! Dannie baby, don't go away! Let him come to you! You don't have to go that far!

But she was. And she was doing it like a brave soldier marching to battle.

Troy must have seen her then because he turned away from the rest and started walking toward my Dannie baby to meet her halfway.

It's a freaking movie material, man...and I am not going to witness a word of it!

As Dannie baby and Troy my boy got closer to each other, I couldn't help but squirm. I got a very good feeling about this and I was so freaking dying to hear what she had to say.

*****

He was smiling at her as he approached, his eyes narrowed against the sun. "You're okay, right?" he asked.