chapter 47: mangoes

A year passed...

The morning sun is just beginning to rise, casting a gentle, golden light over the beach. The waves lap softly at the shore, and the cool breeze carries the scent of the ocean. Eissel, Yvette, and Lessie walk along the beach, their footsteps leaving a trail in the damp sand. Yvette’s baby bump is prominent, and from time to time, Eissel and Lessie lean in to give it a playful kiss.

Eissel: (smiling as he kisses Yvette’s belly) Morning, little guy. Ready for another walk with the family?

Yvette: (laughing softly, her hand resting on her bump) I think he’s excited—he’s been moving around a lot today.

Lessie: (bouncing beside them, her eyes wide with excitement) Can I feel him, Mom? Maybe he’ll kick for me again!

Yvette: (nodding, smiling warmly) Of course, sweetie. Go ahead.

Lessie carefully places her small hands on Yvette’s belly, her face full of anticipation. For a moment, it’s quiet, just the sound of the waves and the seagulls in the distance. Then, suddenly, Lessie’s eyes widen in surprise.

Lessie: (gasping, her face lighting up) He kicked! Mom, he kicked me!

Eissel: (grinning) He’s saying good morning to his big sister. Looks like he’s going to be full of energy, just like you, Lessie.

Lessie: (giggling) I think he’s excited to come out and play with us. Do you think he’ll like the beach, Dad?

Eissel: (smiling) I’m sure he will. Especially if you’re the one showing him around. You’re going to be the best big sister, Lessie.

Yvette: (rubbing her belly gently) He already knows how much you love him, Lessie. I bet he can’t wait to meet you.

Lessie: (grinning) I’m going to teach him everything! Like how to build sandcastles and where to find the best shells. And I’ll make sure he knows all the rules, like no running off without telling Mom and Dad.

Eissel: (chuckling) You’re already sounding like a pro. Maybe you can teach me a thing or two as well.

Yvette: (smiling) You two will make a great team. Our little guy is going to be so lucky to have you both.

Lessie: (excitedly) Can I kiss him again, Mom? Maybe he’ll kick for me one more time!

Yvette: (laughing softly) Go ahead, sweetie. He seems to love all the attention.

Lessie leans in and gently kisses Yvette’s belly. She waits, her hands still on the bump, and after a moment, she feels another tiny kick. Her eyes light up with joy.

Lessie: (squealing) He kicked again! I think he likes it when I kiss him.

Eissel: (smiling) That’s because he knows how much you love him, Lessie. He’s already getting spoiled by his big sister.

Yvette: (rubbing her belly, her voice soft) You’re making him feel so loved, Lessie. He’s going to know he’s got the best family waiting for him.

They continue walking down the beach, the sun climbing higher in the sky. Eissel places an arm around Yvette, pulling her close as they walk, while Lessie stays by her side, occasionally talking to her baby brother through the bump. The morning is filled with laughter and love, and the anticipation of their growing family brings a sense of warmth and happiness that wraps around them like a comforting embrace.

Eissel: (gazing out at the ocean, then looking at Yvette and Lessie) I can’t wait for the day when all four of us are out here together, watching the sunrise, just like this.